Replacement of Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to replace two small SATA HD's with two SATA 620 gig HD.  Used the console to remove one dive, installed new drive but it did not show up to be added.  Reinstalled oridginal drive and added it to the pool again.  Any suggestions????
    If it works, work on it until it is broke.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:29 PM

All replies

• does the bios of your motherboard support hard drives that are 620GB? I'm having a similar problem. I just finished adding 2 1.5TB hard drives. When I tried connecting them directly to the motherboard sata sockets they were not recognized. When I attached them to my PCI sata interface they worked right away. If the smaller hard drives work but the large ones don't I suggest first testing the large ones on a different computer (like your desktop) just to make sure they aren't dead. Then if that pans out I'd update the bios and contact tech support for the motherboard manufacturer.

tb
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Hello,
    if you have attached the new disk, please log on locally or via remote desktop to your server.
    Click Start and right click My Computer.
    Select Manage from context menu.
    Click Disk management and check, if the new disk is visible there.

If that is the case, try following commands from a command prompt on your WHS:
    diskpart
    list disk (check carefully, which is the new disk, since a bad selection will cause data loss)
    select disk x (x has to be replaced with the number of the new disk)
    clean
    exit

Check the WHS console again. Does the disk appear now?
    If yes, it was probably something in the MBR blocking the disk from being integrated before.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:45 PM
  • I would check to see if your bios recognizes the new drives.  How old is the system and do you know your motherboard?  Perhaps it does not support sata 2 that the new drives are?  Then you would need to use a jumper on the drives to lower them to old speeds.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:37 AM
  • Fastphoto said:

I am attempting to replace two small SATA HD's with two SATA 620 gig HD.  Used the console to remove one dive, installed new drive but it did not show up to be added.  Reinstalled oridginal drive and added it to the pool again.  Any suggestions????

If it works, work on it until it is broke.

Fast

I would agree with all of the above checking your bios, and what Olaf said running diskpart. But I was curious why would you remove the smaller drives first, or for that matter at all? Are they failing? You should install the new drives first, also check the jumpers in the back of the drives you are trying to install, if you see any (note the configuration) pull them. Then re install the drives and see if they show in the bios.

Mark G.
    • Proposed as answer by Lunker 1 Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:25 PM
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:24 PM