Registry key for "underline access keys" doesn't seem to work RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I'm doing automated VM construction from scratch and I'm having a hard time setting the "underline access keys" setting. I'm using the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\Keyboard Preference and changing the property On to have a value of 1. If I do this by hand, nothing visibly updates (even in RegEdit) when the entry is complete, and if I click the menu I don't see any underlines in the context menus. However, if I use Alt or F10 to select a menu item and press down there will be the hotkey underlines. If you press escape to get out of the menu and then click it again it'll be missing the underlines.

Some programs do get underlines on things like the menu buttons and related context menus, but is missing it on other things. Visual Studio is an example of this. If you create a C# console app and open the project property pages you'll see that nothing has an underline in the property pages frame, but the main menu for Visual Studio does.

If you change the setting through Settings/Control Panel, everything updates fine. All of this is being done on Windows 10 version 1903.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there another registry key that needs changing? Is there some other magic that Settings/Control Panel does that I can do? Or is there an actual bug with changing the setting through the registry?

Thanks,

Nick

• Changed type Bill_Stewart Tuesday, April 14, 2020 1:29 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Tuesday, April 14, 2020 1:30 PM Off-topic
    Friday, August 23, 2019 6:44 PM

All replies

• This is not a general support forum.  You will need to contact MS Support or find another method.

FYI - many UI features are not manageable by making registry changes.  If you are modifying an undocumented feature through the registry then it will not likely work as expected.

If you think this can be done in C# then post in the C# forum. This is not C# forum.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:57 PM
  • I'll poke MS support then. I was going to post on the MS community site but it seemed to direct me this way for whatever reason.

Thanks.

Friday, August 23, 2019 7:52 PM
  • Why does this matter?

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, August 23, 2019 8:11 PM