HELP cannot restore HP pavilion notebook (NIC not working) - WHS V1 RRS feed

• Question

• The hard disk of my HP Pavilion notebook (dm1) crashed and I had it changed. I thought "great, I've been doing regular backups with WHS for years and at last I will have the opportunity to use them to recover my drive !". Unfortunately, things are not so easy. When I boot with the latest dual boot recover CD (using configuration with more than 512MB), the Network interface seems to work first (lights on) but as soon as the software starts to scan for hardware and installs drivers, the NIC turns off and I cannot find my WHS server. The NIC is in the list of recognized hardware (Realtek RTL8101) but it it is not working. I tried to recover the drivers from the backup image on the WHS server (directory "Windows Home Server drivers for restore") and copy them on a usb drive and when I tell the restore program to look for additional devices it scans the USB drive OK (and installs the wi-fi driver which was not installed at first) but I have the impression that is does not update the Realtek NIC driver with the one on the usb drive because it was already installed.

Is there a way to force the sofware to install the driver I choose ? any other suggestion ?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:49 PM

Answers

• There is a FAQ (in the FAQ section of this forum) which deals with this.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by PG456 Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:58 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:07 PM

All replies

• There is a FAQ (in the FAQ section of this forum) which deals with this.
    • Marked as answer by PG456 Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:58 PM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 6:07 PM
  • Hello Ken,

oops, caught not reading FAQ ... Although I didn't find my exact situation in the FAQ (NIC listed in the hardware list but not working) I found a hint that finally led me to the solution : the driver to be provided has to be for Vista and the one I kept trying to use was for windows 7. After trying several versions of the driver for Vista, I found one that worked !

Thanks for your help, it saved my evening !

Pascal.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Actually, there's a FAQ which mentions Realtek NICs specifically, and I think it includes a link to where you can find the right driver on the Realtek site.

I'm glad you were able to sort everything out, though.

Friday, September 23, 2011 1:23 PM
  • I am having this problem and have read the FAQ's.  I have tried the Vista Drivers, but still cannot get my nic card working.  I have a Realtek RTL8168/8111 Family PCI-E Gigabit Ehternet NIC (NDIS 6.0).  I have the correct drivers from my backup image on the WHS server (directory "Windows Home Server drivers for restore") and copy them on a usb drive and when I tell the restore program to look for additional devices it scans the USB drive OK and says it found drivers and installed them. However, when I boot with the latest dual boot recover CD (using configuration with more than 512MB), the Network interface seems to work first (lights on) but as soon as the software starts to scan for hardware and installs drivers, the NIC turns off and I cannot find my WHS server.  As I stated, I went to Realtek and downloaded the Vista drivers (per Pascal) instead of Windows7 (this is my true operating system -64 bit Windows7), but no joy.  The nic light goes out and I have no connection to my homeserver.  I have tried everything, why can't Microsoft and Realtek get a solution to this? It seems to have been arround for years.

Sorry, but very frustrated,

Anthony

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:11 PM
  • When you say "there is a FAQ (in the FAQ section of this forum) which deals with this." It would be helpful to include a link.
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:02 PM
  • I understand that you "think" it includes a link to the right driver, but I have been unable to find it. It would have been helpful to include the link in in this note rather than just "thinking" about it.
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:04 PM
  • I understand that you "think" it includes a link to the right driver, but I have been unable to find it. It would have been helpful to include the link in in this note rather than just "thinking" about it.

The FAQ section, which is not particularly difficult to find, is here:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/threads

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:21 PM
  • I have the same problem. But, the NIC lights go out before WHS even tries to load a driver. Clearly, WHS has disabled the NIC. It doesn't seem like a RealTek problem at all. I have the driver WHS saved on a memory stick but WHS recover is unable to use this to turn the NIC on again. This is a Microsoft WHS problem and has nothing to do with RealTek.

@Ken Warren: If there is a fix to this problem, other than tearing down my laptop and trying to figure out how to connect its hard drive to another computer or replacing the RealTek NIC as you suggested in another thread, please respond with specific details rather than a vague reference to some FAQ.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:27 PM
  • You are using 32-bit drivers as that's what the recovery environment needs?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 9:33 PM
  • You're right, finding the FAQ section is especially easy. Duh! What I asked Ken to post was a link to the thread that answered the user's question.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 10:00 PM
  • I'm using the drivers WHS saved in the Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore directory in the last backup for the computer I'm trying to restore. This is what the WHS help files and all online comments say to use.

If these aren't the right drivers, then WHS backup/restore doesn't work as advertised.

Sorry if I seem a bit abrasive, but I paid a lot of money for this server and spent a lot of time keeping it up to date and making sure all my systems were backed up. Then, the very first time I actually need it, it simply doesn't work. And, when I come to this forum to try to find a solution, all I find is a suggestion from Ken to sniff around in the FAQ for an answer and an after-the-fact recommendation that I should have torn down my laptop when I first bought it and replaced the NIC.

Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:09 AM
  • From the FAQ:

"the drivers in the clients folder "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" are copied to an USB stick, but not accepted in Vista PE (be also aware, that the recovery CD is a 32 Bit environment, so if your drivers are from an installed  64 bit Vista, they cannot work)".

Sunday, October 7, 2012 9:46 AM
  • I am having the same trouble.  The Repair Windows function didn't work.  I am now able to boot to the Safe Mode and Safe Mode with Networking after running it but my restore points are gone.  The computer now only crashes when it does a full boot.   I tried to restore it but I have run into the same problem with the RealTec card turning off just after the WHS Recovery loads and before it asks to load drivers - it does have the card listed as installed.  I had a different problem several weeks ago and I had no problem doing the backup with the drivers that were in the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder.  I agree with Jim Silver - the directions say to use it and it has worked for me on several different computers.     I also down loaded the Realtek and followed the instructions on the FAQ  but I don't think it used them when I told it to load the drivers.  The Realtek drivers that I found on their site were not specific for 32/64.  I'm doing a full virus scan now and will respond back if/when I find something.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:00 PM