FTP site -> WHS Add In? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm curious to know if anyone is creating or thought of making an Add In where you can have the WHS log into a FTP site, down load and uncompress a .zip file and make it available to stream, or share on the LAN? I'm kinda thinking like a how ReGet captures your downloads and then starts the download, but what would be cool is it would then pass the whole downloading over to the WHS.

Thanks.

Jason

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 5:12 PM

All replies

• For a one-off, it's pretty easy to automate an FTP transfer using any of a variety of scripting languages. What you're looking for is really a download manager, though. I haven't seen anyone mention that they were creating such a thing; why don't you give it a try?
    Monday, July 23, 2007 10:38 PM
  •  

Ken,

Thanks for the response. I realize I could of been clearer.

I'm not looking at a consistant FTP file or directory that I would be downloading from. The scenario I see is where I'm browsing the web and I see a file I want to download. Instead of downloading to my computer or to a share on the WHS I could right-click the link and choose "Send to WHS" which would have the WHS start and complete the download itself. The whole while I could continue browsing without actually doing the downloading on my PC. My computer would not be involved in the procees other than sending the call/parameters out to the WHS. But its the WHS doing the downloading.

I'm not a developer so I leave that to the professionals.

Jason

Saturday, August 4, 2007 10:52 AM
  • Jason,

I use FireFox and I just tried what you are asking to do....basically. I set FFox to download files directly to WHS, which most browsers will allow you to set the defalt folder to download to. FFox lets you select Network Drives. So, it took a few clicks under the Toos section and it was done. I click a file and then save....done. File was off to a WHS folder. It does go through the client pc and then to a WHS Share.

Now, something that sort of does what you are asking is a MS program called TweakUI.  Which again would not have anything to do with WHS really. If TweakUI has such a Down Load setting for the right click feature, then I suppose you could choose the default down load location as WHS.  Which again would cause the file to pass through the client pc and then to WHS.

With both of my suggestions the file D/L is still handled by, and passes through, the client PC. Not sure what benefit there would be not going through the client pc and have the entire process be trasfered to WHS. If this is truely what you want/need, it does not sound like an easy thing to set up.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Sunday, August 5, 2007 3:45 AM