RDC and Connector suddenly stopped working during McAfee install RRS feed

• Question

• My connector console and remote desktop connection were working fine. 

I had uninstalled expired McAfee Virus software from the WHS and was in the process of installing the new version when the RDC connection failed.  The McAfee installation dialog on the WHS showed that the install was essentially complete and at first I thought the WHS was just rebooting, but I've not been able to talk to it since.

I can not access the WHS from either the connector console or the remote desktop.  I can not ping the WHS either using the IP address that was assigned to it.  If I ping using the host name assigned to it, it does correctly map to the assigned IP address.

I've powered down the WHS and restarted it but nope, that didn't work either.  The drive lights are all blue and the left and middle LEDs are blue, but the rightmost LED is red as it was once the McAfee subscription had expired.

Tried running the connector troublshooter but its status just shows "Configuring the diagnostic enviroment" and doesn't seem to go further.

Any help is appreciated.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 3:22 PM

Answers

• Is this an HP or Acer unit? If so, probably your best bet is going to be to contact them for technical support. Probably the first suggestion will be a server recovery, though...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, August 21, 2009 6:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Husky-71 Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:51 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:09 PM

All replies

• Is this an HP or Acer unit? If so, probably your best bet is going to be to contact them for technical support. Probably the first suggestion will be a server recovery, though...
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Friday, August 21, 2009 6:48 PM
    • Marked as answer by Husky-71 Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:51 AM
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:09 PM
  • It is an HP unit.

If I do the server recovery, will I loose all the data that's on the unit?

I have about 750 GB or so of user files on there, most but not all are duplicated around the various PCs I own - still it would be a pain to have to rebuild the thing.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:30 PM
  • You should not lose any data with a server recovery. Don't choose the factory reset option, however, as that will wipe all connected drives.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Well, I did the server recovery but now can not get back into the server.

I can bring up the remote desktop with the login screen but it won't accept any of the user names and passwords that I had.  The administrator password I had set up doesn't work, and if I try a blank password it says it can't log on due to account restrictions.

Any ideas?
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 8:57 PM
  • Did you reinstall the Connector software on one client, which came with the machine, so that you could go through the initial configuration process? The Server reinstallation wipes the OS (and with it all customizations, updates, user accounts and other stuff you had) besides the data in shared folders and the backups.
    So you will need to complete the OOBE ("Out of Box Experience") stage first, which requires a connector reinstall on one client.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:36 PM
  • After reading the documentation a few more times, and rereading  the part where the connector would be reinstalled, it dawned on me that the connector it would have tried to install would be a 32 bit version, whereas my desktop machine is a Windows Vista x64 bit machine.

So I got out my laptop, which is a Windows XP 32 bit machine and reinstalled the connector with the version from the recovery disk.

It has launched a Windows Home Server Setup program and is at a screen now where it says that your Windows Home Server needs to be initialized.

The program so far has a green check mark next to configuring your hardware, and blue dot next to "Recovering your data" and "Starting "Windows Home Server".

At the bottom of the screen it says "Server initalizing, please wait . . ." and there's a bar below that.

Not sure if the bar is supposed to be marching along or not, but it's not.  It's been like that now for 30 minutes or so with no visible change.

Saturday, August 22, 2009 9:48 PM
  • If you did a server recovery, there is a stage, in which setup recreates the tombstones. This can take a long time (literally up to days), dependend from the amount of stored data.
    Unfortunately there is no indicator, how much is already done and how much still open.
    Olaf
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:04 PM
  • OK, I guess I'll sit back and wait - or maybe I won't sit back, but rather will go do something else for a while.

Hopefully it won't be days as I use the laptop for work and will need to take it away when I go back to work Monday morning.

Then, I guess once it's all recovered OK, I'll need to go through the process of upgrading to the Powerpack or whatever the new updated version of the OS was with the 64 bit connector.

If that all works, maybe I'll be brave enough to try the McAfee virus installation again . . .

Thanks for your help.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Looks like I'm back in business.  The server has completed the restore process and it looks like the data was all still there.

Didn't try to open any files yet, but a number of the directories were there filled with files so hopefully they're OK.

Got the user accounts all set up and went through the WHS initial configuration and all seemed fine.

Last step was to check for updates again and now, I presume, the Powerpack 1 update is being downloaded and installed.  Assuming that goes OK, I'll just need to reinstall the connectors on my client machines and then will be good to go.

Well, except for trying to install McAfee again.  Maybe I'll save that for tomorrow, it's been a long day.

Thanks everyone for their help.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 5:56 AM
  • Press the update button on the console after each server reboot, until no upgrade is offered any more.
    If you have downloaded all updates up to the same level your WHS had before, it is enough to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server on those clients, which have not been used for the installation.
    Only if the connector versions differ from the current version on WHS, you may need to uninstall and reinstall.
    Olaf
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 10:08 AM