none
DSVM on an NC class VM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm trying to deploy a DSVM on an NC-class VM to make run some analyses on the GPU. However, when I set up the VM, all of the NC-class VMs are greyed out an I cannot select them. My CPU quota doesn't seem to be the issue (currently at 48), and I have selected East US as zone, which should offer the NC VMs. I have tried it both with the Ubuntu and Windows DSVM images, both with the same result. Any hints on what I might be doing wrong appreciated!

Best,
    Carsten

Monday, March 26, 2018 9:37 AM

Answers

• It turns out this particular VM type is not available for me because I'm an AI for Earth grantee, and the GPU-based VMs are limited to paying customers.
    • Marked as answer by crstnk Monday, April 9, 2018 9:38 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 9:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Carsten,

There are two things that might be the issue here. The first is that the NC series VMs only support HDD drives, so you will need to select that on the first pane. (NCv2 and v3 support SSD.) The other is that the core quota is per VM class and region, so be sure you have quota for the NC VMs in eastus.

Paul

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 7:27 PM
    Owner
  • It turns out this particular VM type is not available for me because I'm an AI for Earth grantee, and the GPU-based VMs are limited to paying customers.
    • Marked as answer by crstnk Monday, April 9, 2018 9:38 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2018 9:38 AM
  • To better help us isolate the issue, can you also please report what the quota is for the "Standard NC Family vCPUs" (the K80 GPU instances) in each of the regions? You can find it by clicking on Subscriptions -> Usage + Quotas on the Azure portal? This is in addition to the "Total Regional vCPUs" quota. Have you tried to request quota increase if these show up a zero for the standard NC family vCPUs? 

Monday, April 9, 2018 4:52 PM