Uploading Photos RRS feed

• Question

• I have a daughter currently working in the USA, I have setup a profile for her to log into for uploading her photos back home here to be kept safe. The problem is that they are all around 1.5 - 2mb each, and she says they take for ever to upload (she has a good connection, and I have a good connection as well). is there a way to speed things up? when she uploads to Facebook, it automatically resizes them, can WHS do this? Does anyone have any ideas.

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:24 AM

All replies

•  touchwood wrote:
    I have a daughter currently working in the USA, I have setup a profile for her to log into for uploading her photos back home here to be kept safe. The problem is that they are all around 1.5 - 2mb each, and she says they take for ever to upload (she has a good connection, and I have a good connection as well). is there a way to speed things up?

Not that I know of.

touchwood wrote:
    when she uploads to Facebook, it automatically resizes them, can WHS do this?

Not OOTB.  I don't know of any add-ins that do that either, but I could be wrong on that.

touchwood wrote:
    Does anyone have any ideas.

How many pics is she trying to upload at once?

Monday, July 28, 2008 4:45 AM
  • Upload speeds depend on a number of factors, but if, for example, she's uploading 50 photographs at a time, that's 75 MB or more. What kind of connection do each of you have to the Internet? On a cable modem here in the US, it could take 2-3 minutes to upload that amount of data, and on a DSL connection it would takemuch longer. I believe the resizing done by Facebook is done on the client (her PC), then the reduced size image is sent to Facebook. That would result in throwing away a lot of the oroginal quality in the image, which you might not want to do.
    Monday, July 28, 2008 11:43 AM