getting data error (crc) while trying to transfer files RRS feed

• Question

• got a new computer! trying to transfer my photos.  Am hung up on error message: data error (cyclic redundancy check) on Xp computer. Cant copy, move or delete the offending file (it is a photo of my kid)

any ideas??? 
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:24 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    this forum is about Windows Home Server. So do you transfer to a Windows Home Server?

This being said: Are you still able to open the picture?
    If yes, try to save it under another name.
    If not, it may sit on a damaged place on the disk. CRC errors usually point to errors reading data, often caused by faulty memory or a corrupt file system on the disk.
    You can try to open a command prompt and enter following command:
    chkdsk /f /r c: (replace c: with the drive letter, on which the file is located)

This will try to fix any errors in the file system and search for broken sectors (could require a reboot).
    Sometimes the results are not that good, and not only the file, but also others may be lost. Especially if faulty memory is the cause, it may influence also more files, so try to save them first to a place outside of the computer (or attach the old disk to the new computer).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:14 PM
  • OK, anf if the CRC problem stays?

I already bought a new hard disk, now I want to remove the faulty one form WHS, but the Wizard stumbels at the CRC errors and I can't remove the damaged disk.

Any ideas how to get further?

thanks

Thursday, November 18, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Disconnect the disk, then remove it from server storage. If you don't have duplication on for all shares, you can connect the disk to a computer and copy anything you find in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc. that's not in your shares any more back to the shares. You'll know you're missing files, because Windows Home Server will warn you before you start the removal. If you're warned that you may lose backups, try running a backup database repair after the removal.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by baudl0815 Friday, November 19, 2010 2:34 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:22 PM