none
Editing Posts a Convoluted Process to Say the Least RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Anyone else have strange behavior when trying to edit posts?  I often make typos or see something I've done wrong after I hit the Submit button, and thankfully a post can be edited for a time.

Chances are good that if I hit the Edit link the first time I'll be able to edit the text in a "rich text" sort of way, though the font is different than that which is ultimately posted.

However, if I Edit a second time (yes, I'm both a perfectionist and I make mistakes sometimes I don't catch first time) I usually get an HTML editor or sometimes an obvious glitch where some other part of the site is displayed.  Starting the browser over at "My Threads" or the summary level will often yield my being able to get one more "wysiwyg" edit.

Also, I often get the message across the top of IE 8:  "An add-on for this website failed to run.  Check the security settings in Internet Options for potential conflicts."  While I choose not to allow most Add-ons to run, I do trust Microsoft.com and so there should be no failure of an Add-on if it is coming from Microsoft.com.  However, I don't know whether this is related to the Edit failures.

The Edit failures manifest in Safari as well.

Here's what I see:

First Edit:

Second Edit:

-Noel
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 3:16 PM

Answers

All replies

•  
    Anyone else have strange behavior when trying to edit posts?  I often make typos or see something I've done wrong after I hit the Submit button, and thankfully a post can be edited for a time.

Chances are good that if I hit the Edit link the first time I'll be able to edit the text in a "rich text" sort of way, though the font is different than that which is ultimately posted.

However, if I Edit a second time (yes, I'm both a perfectionist and I make mistakes sometimes I don't catch first time) I usually get an HTML editor or sometimes an obvious glitch where some other part of the site is displayed.  Starting the browser over at "My Threads" or the summary level will often yield my being able to get one more "wysiwyg" edit.

I think the site gets confused occasionally about whether you are still editing somewhere.   So the raw HTML source mode is its signal about that.

Also, I often get the message across the top of IE 8:  "An add-on for this website failed to run.  Check the security settings in Internet Options for potential conflicts."

Never saw that.   Try running ProcMon to see what it's trying to use?   Alternatively, I suppose there might be a clue in the Event log but I wouldn't bet on it.   ; }

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 3:57 PM
  • This can happen if you edit something multiple times, the client waiting for a required .js doesn't think it is there, so it takes the user to the /edit page. We have a bug on it, no eta for the fix.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:26 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the confirmation.  I appreciate the communications.  We tend to hear so little from Microsoft it's nice to know you're listening.

Can you confirm that all "required .js" files are coming from microsoft.com?  My security setup is such that NOTHING gets scripted/run unless I have the site or domain of its source in my Trusted Sites list.  Primarily this keeps ads from installing garbage on my system.

As I trust Microsoft to load updates, I figure I can trust you to not load garbage onto my system via IE and your own web sites, and so far (in years of following this policy) I haven't been disappointed. 

However, lately I'm finding more and more reputable companies are starting to run javascript and objects from 3rd party sites.  With default behavior of IE being "run ActiveX and scripting from anywhere", a bigger security hole would be hard to imagine!

-Noel
    Friday, March 12, 2010 8:01 PM
  • I believe this particular bug was fixed. Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Sunday, May 13, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Can't say I've seen the oddball modal behavior in quite a while, so yes, I think it's been fixed. 

I'm kind of curious, though...  Are you going through old problem reports to make sure they're all fixed?  That's uncommon but welcome.

-Noel

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:37 AM
  • Can't say I've seen the oddball modal behavior in quite a while, so yes, I think it's been fixed. 

I'm kind of curious, though...  Are you going through old problem reports to make sure they're all fixed?  That's uncommon but welcome.

-Noel

Yes. Cleaning house. There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed and were ignored for too long.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:20 AM