File Confict issues how do I determine if this is a drive failure issue? RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of doing a "brute force" reinstall of WHS and copying over files from the DE\shares folders of my old data drives to my new system, actually the same system with a new install.  Note that I am reusing hard drives.  My old system appeared to be suffering hard drive isses on the system drive.  So I am no longer using this old system drive in my new system but I am reusing several other drives that are 1.5TB and 1TB in size.

I am about 95% of the way through this process which involves about 3 TB of data (unduplicated) and thousands and thousands of files and I have been observing some issues.  Note that while restoring files I have duplication turned off for all shares.  In the case of about 2-3 dozen files I have been getting errors stating: "The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation".  This is happening primarily in my Photos share but occasionally in other volumes such as Public\Webpages.  When I go to resolve the issue by deleting the file in many cases I can't do the delete so I follow the process in this page http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/7ef4db6c-4a73-42e7-b79e-cacd41365442 which is the File Conflict FAQ page.

Should I be concerned about getting these conflicts?  Could they indicate a problem with a hard drive?  If so then how do I determine which of my several data hard drives that these "bad" files are on?  Is there an easier way than pulling these drives out of this system and plugging them into a non-WHS system and browsing through the files on the drive?
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• Yes, you should be concerned. Those errors indicate that you have lost data. They may indicate a problem with a hard drive; you can run chkdsk on all the drives in your server to test your drives for errors.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Thanks Ken - part of this file will run chkdsk on C: - I assume that will happen upon the next reboot?  Am I right in guessing that the for loop does the chkdsk on all of the data drives?  Should I do this first since it appears that the data drives are the issue?

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup chkdsk D: /x /r chkdsk C: /x /r for /d %%1 in (C:\fs\*) do start chkdsk /x /r %%1
    Monday, December 7, 2009 8:20 PM
  • The last line of the code above appears to start a concurrent instance for each data drive that you have.  In my case I know have four sessions of chkdsk running on my server.  I assume this is ok?  The only problem is that each session is SLOW.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 4:42 AM
  • The individual chkdsk sessions aren't much slower than they would be if they were run sequentially; the net effect is that insteady of spending 4x amount of time (for your 4 drives) you're spending perhaps 1.5x.

chkdsk will report it's completion in the command prompts in which it's running (which will close when chkdsk finishes), and will also write events to the applicaiton log, source = winlogon.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:20 PM
  • When the four instances were running there were very slow and two of the instances seemed to pause until the other two finished - at least the % completed didn't move for hours.

But it did finish through the night.  I didn't notice any significant errors in the output.  In Event Viewer I see one instance of "Chkdsk was implemented in read-only mode on a volume snapshot" amd three instances of "Chkdsk was implemented in read/write mode on a volume snapshot".  But chkdsk should have run 6 times if I read the code correctly, once on c:, once on d: and then four times on data volumes.   Note that I have my system drive plus four additional DATA drives.

Chkdsk did run at the next bootup but it was very fast.

There is nothing else in the log and the file conflict errors are still there.

Any other ideas.  Is there any way to try to see if the bad files are on the same hard drive?  Then perhaps I can remove that hard drive?  Until I turn on duplication I have lots of extra hard drive space.  Almost all of my important files are backed up on an external drive but I may lose some recorded TV shows and some DVD rips.  I can live with that but I don't want to risk corrupting other data files.

One more weird thing is that there have not been any conflict errors reported on my Video or TVShows Shared volumes and these are the volumes with the bulk of the files, at least in terms of size.  The errors are primarily on my Photo share and software.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:42 PM
  • If you didn't do "/f" then it may not have fixed anything - try that first.
    If nothing else, use the WHS cleanup tool to delete any broken tombstones
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 7:58 PM
  • If you didn't do "/f" then it may not have fixed anything - try that first.
    If nothing else, use the WHS cleanup tool to delete any broken tombstones

The script he's running uses the /r parameter to chkdsk. /r implies /f.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:15 PM
  • I have tried Moveonboot and a few other file delete programs to no avail.  I also tried the cleanup tool but it didn't work either - here is the message for the relevant files, plus a few good files.  The cleanup tool can't access the files either.

"Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG00037-20090116-1523.jpg",D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG00037-20090116-1523.jpg Access to the path 'D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG00037-20090116-1523.jpg' is denied.
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG00038-20090116-1523.jpg",D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG00038-20090116-1523.jpg Access to the path 'D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG00038-20090116-1523.jpg' is denied.
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0606.jpg",D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0606.jpg Access to the path 'D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0606.jpg' is denied.
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0613.jpg",D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0613.jpg Access to the path 'D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0613.jpg' is denied.
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0688.JPG",D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0688.JPG Access to the path 'D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0688.JPG' is denied.
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0708.JPG",D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0708.JPG Access to the path 'D:\shares\photos\Lake Louise Jan08\IMG_0708.JPG' is denied.
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Mom's 70th Bday\DCP_2544 (Small).jpg", OK
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Mom's 70th Bday\DCP_2544.jpg", OK
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Mom's 70th Bday\DCP_2545 (Small).jpg", OK
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Mom's 70th Bday\DCP_2545.jpg", OK
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Mom's 70th Bday\DCP_2546 (Small).jpg", OK
    "Testing", "D:\shares\photos\Mom's 70th Bday\DCP_2546.jpg", OK
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:05 PM