none
Never ending calculation of sizes? RRS feed

• Question

• It's happening again! I once had a nice pie chart of my storage usage in WHS and now it sits here calculating sizes? of what?

Why does it do this?

I am using an old DELL P4 1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM internal 300 GB drive and two external 1 TB drives. The WHS is OEM from MicroCenter.

How does one stop this, besides a system rebuild?

Thanks in advance,

Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:27 AM

All replies

• It's happening again! I once had a nice pie chart of my storage usage in WHS and now it sits here calculating sizes? of what?

Why does it do this?

I am using an old DELL P4 1.8 GHz, 1 GB RAM internal 300 GB drive and two external 1 TB drives. The WHS is OEM from MicroCenter.

How does one stop this, besides a system rebuild?

Thanks in advance,

Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each hard drive in your server?  If not, see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to do that.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 6:09 AM
  • Which version number is shown in the Console under Settings/Ressources? (On an unpatched WHS you can also face such issues.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Version 6.0.2423.0 for all subproducts

WHS with power pack 3
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 2:15 AM
  • That's most current.
    You could logon locally (or use the WHS Toolkit from a client) and check the servers event log for related error messages and warnings.
    Did you perform the chkdsk action as recommended by kariya?
    Eventually it would also help to delete the backup database and start backups from the scratch.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 9:51 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem, use to work fine then in the past couple of weeks I notice I need to cancel the view because the calculating size bar nevers completes.

Latest WHS version, fully patched and checked all the disks as suggsted below.

Any ideas anyone, other than deleteing all the backups for my 7 PC's which somewhat makes the point of holding historical backups pointless:-)
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:35 AM