Red drive status light, weird console errors, error events; everything fine now -- or is it? RRS feed

• Question

• Similar to this recent thread, when I returned home this past Sunday morning after being away for a few days, I noticed that the hard drive status light on my 18-month old EX470 was red. When I launched the WHS Console, I got the following obscure message:

The Windows Home Server Console experienced a problem with a feature during the previous attempt to open it.  If the problem persists, please call Product Support. To try to open the console again, click Retry. To open the console without the feature so you can troubleshoot with Product Support, click Skip.

I pressed Skip. After a long delay, the WHS Console opened but the Server Storage tab was missing--as were the tabs for two of my add-ins: Disk Management (v1.0.9.8) and Jungle Disk Online Backup (v1.02.2). I also have the Windows Home Server Toolkit (v6.0.2639.0) add-in installed; this was still present in the Settings window.

I used the WHS Toolkit to view the event logs. In the application log, I noticed this error every few weeks over the past few months:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: (100)
    Event ID: 1000
    User:  N/A
    Description:
    Faulting application whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, faulting module whsbackup.exe, version 6.0.2423.0, fault address 0x00063604.

(Backups appear to be working fine, BTW.)

I also noticed this warning event occurring every few minutes for as far back as I can see:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: CqvSvc.exe
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 9000
    Description:
    Exception occurred:  System.IO.IOException
    Message:  The process cannot access the file 'C:\inetpub\intranet\health\health.xml' because it is being used by another process.

Nothing too out-of-the-ordinary, I suppose.

On Sunday morning, however, the following error event appeared:

Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
    Event ID: 5000
    Date:  2/28/2010
    Time:  5:14:23 AM
    Description:
    EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 system.invalidoperationexception, P10 NIL.

It was only a few hours later that I attemped to launch the WHS Console. I noticed in the log that right after I attempted to do that this error event appeared:

Event Source: MediaSmart Server Software Update
    Event ID: 0
    Time:  11:03:31 AM
    Description:
    Root element is missing.
    Exception:System.Xml.XmlException
    Source:System.Xml
    StackTrace:
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
       at MediaSmartUpdate.MediaSmartUpdater.GetSettingsValues(String msuCfg)

followed by four instances of this error event, about 30 seconds apart:

Event Source: Application Error
    Event ID: 1001
    Time:  11:20:55 AM
    Description:
    Fault bucket 1575745692.

At about the same time, the following two error events appeared in the system log:

Event Source: System Error
    Event Category: (102)
    Event ID: 1003
    Time:  11:19:27 AM
    Description:
    Error code 0000000a, parameter1 0000000c, parameter2 000000ff, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 80877be7.

Event Source: System Error
    Event Category: (102)
    Event ID: 1003
    Time:  11:20:57 AM
    Description:
    Error code 0000007c, parameter1 00000005, parameter2 84086ab0, parameter3 83fc37f0, parameter4 80894510.

Next, I came to this forum, found the above-mentioned thread, copied the suggested script, and then executed the script in a command window on the server. (Thanks, Ken Warren!) The script ran for about four hours. I didn't notice any errors in the command window, per se; nor did I see any Winlogon errors (nor any other errors) in the application log afterward.

I rebooted the WHS. The hard drive status light turned red again. The WHS icon in the system tray of my PCs gave an ominous warning that the backup service on the WHS was not running; I feared that my backup database had become corrupted or lost. When I launched the WHS Console, I got the same obscure message:

The Windows Home Server Console experienced a problem with a feature during the previous attempt to open it.  If the problem persists, please call Product Support. To try to open the console again, click Retry. To open the console without the feature so you can troubleshoot with Product Support, click Skip.

This time, I pressed Retry and got the following message:

The previous attempt to open the Windows Home Server Console was not successful because there was a problem with the following file: HomeServerConsoleTab.JungleDiskWHSConsole.dll. If the problem persists, please uninstall the add-in associated with this file and try again. To try to open the console with this file again, click Retry. To open the console without the features associated with this file, click Skip.

I pressed Retry again and got the following message:

The previous attempt to open the Windows Home Server Console was not successful because there was a problem with the following file: HomeServerConsoleTab.DiskMgt.dll. If the problem persists, please uninstall the add-in associated with this file and try again. To try to open the console with this file again, click Retry. To open the console without the features associated with this file, click Skip.

I pressed Retry again and got the following message:

I pressed Retry again and then the console displayed as it normally does. The Network Health is now green. The Server Storage tab and the tabs for the two add-ins that previously had been missing now appear fine. After a few seconds, the hard drive status light turned back to blue. My backups all appear to be fine. There are no new errors in the application or system logs. The CqvSvc.exe warning event that had been appearing every few minutes is no longer occuring.

At this point, I'm not sure what to think. Should I assume that everything is fine now? Should I perform any additional diagnostics?

Monday, March 1, 2010 2:59 PM

All replies

• Please run chkdsk on all your drives to see if there are any errors that might be identified/corrected, and get back to us if even minor errors are reported.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 1, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I finally had a chance to run a CHKDSK on all of my drives!

There were no errors detected in the Application log; there was one warning, but I believe it is unrelated:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: CqvSvc.exe
    Event ID: 9000
    Date:  3/12/2010
    Time:  6:07:18 PM
    Description:
    Exception occurred:  System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

There are no drive-related warnings or errors in the System log. The only non-drive-related errors--which have been occurring since long before the server issue--have a source of TermServDevices (Event ID 1111) and TermDD (Event ID 50). The only non-drive-related warnings--which also have been occurring since long before the server issue--have a source of Print (Event IDs 3, 4, and 8).

Two errors are now appearing in the HomeServer log every morning:

Event Source: HomeServer
    Event Category: Backup
    Event ID: 272
    Date:  3/14/2010
    Time:  8:24:51 AM
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x70 from WriteFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.288.new: There is not enough space on the disk.

Event ID: 267
    Date:  3/14/2010
    Time:  8:24:51 AM
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(421)

Date:  3/15/2010
    Time:  7:06:55 AM
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x70 from WriteFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.288.new: There is not enough space on the disk.

Date:  3/15/2010
    Time:  7:06:55 AM
    Description:
    Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp3\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(421)

Date:  3/16/2010
    Time:  7:39:56 AM
    Description:
    Unexpected error 0x70 from WriteFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.289.new: There is not enough space on the disk.

Date:  3/16/2010
    Time:  7:39:57 AM
    Description:

I have four 1 TB drives. According to the Server Storage tab, there is 112 GB free. According to the Disk Management add-in tab, Disk 0 is 88% full, Disk 1 is 97% full, and Disks 2 and 3 are 98% full.

According to the Computers & Backup tab, the initial backup of a new (re-built, actually) Client PC has failed three days in a row. So the timing of these errors in relation to the CHKDSK action is likely just coincidental.

Obviously, I need to free up some disk space. (Or upgrade a drive or two to 1.5 TB!) I'm in the process of slowly freeing up drive space. But do the errors listed above any other problems?

IMO, whatever problems the server had two weeks ago, starting with the red drive status light, that led to my initial posting seem to have been resolved by your CHKDSK suggestion. What do you think?

Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:54 PM