Motherboard died..how to get server back up RRS feed

• Question

• This may have an answer but want to make sure I am going to do this correctly.  I am running WHS on a Shuttle KPC K45 barebones for about a year. The Shuttle failed and it appears to be a bad MB.  Would it be feasable to move both HDD's to a new build.  If I have to do a re-installation of WHS, so be it but will there be any problems with authentication if I do this? I am thinking about an Intel MB with similar North and South bridges. The little Shuttle has worked admirably but it frankly is not worth trying to fix it.  Any help appreciated.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 10:13 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem with a mobo failure. I installed the old hdd's on the new motherboard and in the same logical spots ( primary master, secondary slave etc, they were IDE) and the server rebuild worked flawless for me. it took a long time but I didnt lose any data or backups.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Thanks Craig....The Shuttle has SATA drives ....don't think that should be a problem but will cross my fingers and hope it all works when I get the new MB.

Unless you put the SATA ports on the mobo in IDE/Legacy mode, you will most likely need to install the drivers for the SATA ports twice (the second of which will most likely require a floppy drive).

I have heard the K45 has had some problems...not manufactured anymore...the bios was flakey from the start.........I can see why.  They touted it as a "green" machine...it is really green now since it it is not running.  First I thought the PS was bad but substituted a good one and still bad...thanks again...

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by neutron spin Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:40 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:25 AM

All replies

• I had the same problem with a mobo failure. I installed the old hdd's on the new motherboard and in the same logical spots ( primary master, secondary slave etc, they were IDE) and the server rebuild worked flawless for me. it took a long time but I didnt lose any data or backups.
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:04 PM
  • Thanks Craig....The Shuttle has SATA drives ....don't think that should be a problem but will cross my fingers and hope it all works when I get the new MB.  I have heard the K45 has had some problems...not manufactured anymore...the bios was flakey from the start.........I can see why.  They touted it as a "green" machine...it is really green now since it it is not running.  First I thought the PS was bad but substituted a good one and still bad...thanks again...
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 11:51 PM
  • Thanks Craig....The Shuttle has SATA drives ....don't think that should be a problem but will cross my fingers and hope it all works when I get the new MB.

Unless you put the SATA ports on the mobo in IDE/Legacy mode, you will most likely need to install the drivers for the SATA ports twice (the second of which will most likely require a floppy drive).

I have heard the K45 has had some problems...not manufactured anymore...the bios was flakey from the start.........I can see why.  They touted it as a "green" machine...it is really green now since it it is not running.  First I thought the PS was bad but substituted a good one and still bad...thanks again...

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by neutron spin Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:40 PM
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:25 AM
  • Thanks for the info.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:40 PM