WHS & Client Hibernation RRS feed

• Question

• How are people going to handle the overnight backups? I have three home pc's not unusual these days and there's no way I am going to leave these running all night. So I tried one client last night, I put it in hibernation, after setting system hibernates after 30 mins, left WHS running and checked this morning. A backup had taken place ok and the client was back in hibernation, all good so far. I switched the client on from hibernation and got a message "IP conflict on network"
    What I believe happened was that my wife had switched her pc on before my pc came out of hibernation, my pc still thinks it has the before hibernation ip address but the router doesn't know that and gives the same ip to my wifes machine.
    My server has a static ip.
    Does this sound feasible?
    Frank
    Monday, September 17, 2007 10:43 AM

Answers

• That's a problem with your router or your client PC, I'm afraid, not WHS. If your client PC's DHCP lease hasn't expired, your router shouldn't reassign it even if the client isn't on the network temporarily. And if it has expired, your client PC shouldn't try to continue to use it.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 12:00 PM
  • Frank,

Some home routers are better than others at handling DHCP. I normally assign all my PC's static IP ( I have 6 on my LAN )  and leave DHCP enabled on my router ( I have a VOIP phone adaptor that mis-behaves with a static IP ). I have set up quite a few home networks and find this usually works well. You can also change the scheduled back-up times on the server, in settings/back-ups tab.

Monday, September 17, 2007 12:23 PM

All replies

• That's a problem with your router or your client PC, I'm afraid, not WHS. If your client PC's DHCP lease hasn't expired, your router shouldn't reassign it even if the client isn't on the network temporarily. And if it has expired, your client PC shouldn't try to continue to use it.
    Monday, September 17, 2007 12:00 PM
  • Frank,

Some home routers are better than others at handling DHCP. I normally assign all my PC's static IP ( I have 6 on my LAN )  and leave DHCP enabled on my router ( I have a VOIP phone adaptor that mis-behaves with a static IP ). I have set up quite a few home networks and find this usually works well. You can also change the scheduled back-up times on the server, in settings/back-ups tab.

Monday, September 17, 2007 12:23 PM
  •  dfw wrote:

Frank,

David,
    Looks like static all round then. The only problem is that my wifes pc is in her craft room, getting to it is a bit like climbing an iceberg in slippers.

Thanks to you and Ken for the illumination.
    Frank
    Monday, September 17, 2007 1:20 PM