Intermittent connection problem with Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an ongoing issue with my WHS 2011 installation not allowing any access to log in, or it's so slow to respond, that it times out. I have the same problem whether I am inside (remote access) or outside of my home network (via dashboard or Remote Desktop). From inside my network, sometimes I cannot even open the dashboard or RDP into the server. However, I can open the shares just fine, stream from the server, view pictures, play music, etc. The server is up and running, but you cannot logon to it. I check back ten minutes later, and it will be just fine. I have checked the log files, and I see notations about the connection, but no errors or reasons for the connection being denied. I do see Audit Failure messages around when I attemted the connection, but I also see those a second or two before a successful connection.

It is getting very frustrating! I am in general very happy with WHS 2011, but this flaky ability to connect to it is killing me. I am testing on a desktop computer with Win7 connected thru a switch and then onto my server. I have swapped ethernet cables and switch ports. It seems like the network is good, as like I said above, I can completely connect to the server shares and streaming abilities. 

Has anybody else noticed this sort of behavior (ie. not able to connect via dashboard or RDP, then suddenly it works)?

Perhaps someone could look under their Event Viewer for Windows Logs -> Security, and see if there are any Audit Failure messages. Or does anybody else have a similar problem? I see these messages throughout the night, when the various client computers and connect to the server before a backup. There are several Audit Failure messages, followed by Audit Success, and the client backup was successful.

The only other errors I see on the server, don't seem to be related, as they are occurring at totally different times:

Error - Schannel - The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 1203.

Error - VSS - VssAdmin: Unable to create a shadow copy: Another shadow-copy creation is in progress, so the current shadow copy cannot be created. There are a number of common scenarios causing this problem: * If Shadow Copies of Shared Folders is set up, ensure that no two volumes have schedules that lie within five minutes of each other.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:25 PM

All replies

• Thought I would update my own thread, in the event other folks come across this same problem.

Turns out, it had to do with my Intel ICH10R RAID-1 setup with two 2TB drives. I was using an older version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver downloaded from the motherboard web-site. With this version of the driver installed, my system would work just fine. However, I would get alot of WAS Warnings in the Event Viewer like these:

• 5011 - Process serving application pool 'RemoteAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service.
  • 5010 - Process serving application pool 'RemoteAppPool' failed to respond to a ping.
  • 5009 - Process serving application pool 'RemoteAppPool' terminated unexpectedly.
  • During the time that I cannot access the server via Dashboard or RDP, these warnings would pop-up. They have to do with remote access, and nothing to do with storage, so they were the result of the flaky RAID driver, not the root cause. So I spent alot of time debugging, and even rebuilding the system, only to discover that the Intel RAID driver was the problem (or at least the old version was).
Monday, November 21, 2011 9:37 PM