Serious problems with Bitedefender RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi everybody,

I'm using Bitdefender Antivirus 2009 (thus without the integrated firewall) to protect my server. OK, I "used" bitdefender untill today. With an installed bitdefender I was unable to log in to my server, neigther with the WHS-console, RDP or local console. The login process stopped and the desktop was not loaded, leaving me with an empty screen without a tasbar, start-menu or any icons. The WHS-consle produced an general protection fault and  terminated the connection.

As far as I can say, this problem occured since the last week, maybe an update of bitdefender was the reason, I don't know.

During the search for the failure, I have reinstalled my server yesterday including Bitdefender and only two plugins (Lights-Out and AdvancedAdminConsole) but today the error occured again. After starting the server in secured mode, I was able to "disable" all of the four bitdefender services (deinstallation was not possible in secured mode). With the disabled services, the server run fine and without any problems. Thus I have actually removed Bitdefender from my server.

Can anyone reproduce this problem?

After all, I can say, that Bitdefender is generally not a good choise for WHS. The above is not the only issue I encountered. Here my top-list of reasons, why bitdefender is a bad choise for WHS:
    - the installation of Bitdefender with the latest version from the internet stops, because "my OS is not supprted". The message says, that only "XP, Vista and WHS" are supported, anyhow, I HAVE a (German) WHS...
    - if no user is logged in to the WHS, no tasks are executed, neither, the daily scan-task nor the self-checks (e.g. the age of the last update) are performed. Anyhow, updates are still downloaded and installed.
    - no WHS-console plugin is available! Administrating bitdefnder require a login to the WHS via RDP or local console.
    - and now, an installed bitdefender prevents any user from logging in to the WHS.
    - the bitdefender-support is pretty bad. Asking a questions in German, I never received any answer at all. Asking questions in english, response times of more than one week are not unusual.
    - the "home network" function (for remote administration) of Bitdefender don't "really" works. Other computers are not found reliable and adding computers to this network is a pain in the ____.

After all I'm realy not really satisfied with bitdefender. Do the oher anti-virus solutions for the WHS work better? (Pitty, but only two alternative products are available).

Thanks for any reply!
    regards
    Ulrich
    • Changed type Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:51 PM not really a WHS software question
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:41 PM

All replies

• Vendors are slowly bringing out products for Windows Home Server. I use avast! (which I haven't had any problems with), and there's also fSecure. McAfee has a product that HP distributes, and I think there are a couple of other options.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

thanks for the reply. Anyhow, one of the reasons for me to use bitdefender was the home network, so I could remotely administrate it (together with the other 5 computers in my network). Before I bougth bitdefender I tested f-secure, but the information returned by this product are pretty few (usually I expect more than a simple "everything is OK", some activity reports would be usefull).

You are right, there are some products available which are able to run unter WHS. But most of them are not special developed for WHS. Most of them are for WinServer2003. This would be OK, but the prize for thess server-products (usually 200-500€ per license and year) is slightly to high for me. Thus, exclusing the server-solutions, as far as I know, only Bitdefender, F-Secure and Avast! are available for WHS. Maybe I give Avast! a try...

BTW: I missed one of the biggest disadvantages of Bitdefender in my "low-lights-list": The user interface! This colorful UI of bitdefender is really a pain in the ... not only because of the colors, but more because this is not usable without a mouse (and is pretty slow, compared to a UI only using Windows-GDI).

Thanks
    regards
    Ulrich
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 2:06 PM
  • I was currently using the AVAST add-in Tral version for WHS on my Acer Easystore system and I did not have any problems. The Acer is a headless WHS. I never had a problem with Avast. I started to see some disk activity and thought that maybe Avast was not as good at protecting my system after all ( I guess I was paranoid about my WHS security), so I decided to get the BitDefender Total Security Trial version and check out how secure this product was. BIG MISTAKE, especially on a headless whs. None of my PC's could access the WHS. I could not see what was causing the problem, so I had to perform a factory reset of my Acer EasyStore system, which performs a clean install of the software, losing all of your data and settings.

Ok, I finally got everything working now and I was able toconnect to my Acer Easystore. So I decided not to install BitDefender Total Security on my WHS, but thought it would be OK to install on my Vista laptop. Again a bad move. After installing BitDefender Total Security on my laptop, now none of my PC's can access my WHS. I did not have any problems before installing the software. To resolve the problem I had to uninstall BitDefender Total Security and also uninstall the home server connector on my Vista laptop.

So safe to say, I am staying away from BitDefender
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:31 PM
  • This is a firewall issue on the client, probably. The Home Networking technical brief tells you which ports need to be open in order for the various Windows Home Server components to operate correctly.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:12 PM