Auto backup sometimes does not start & a MS Connect question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using WHS with PP1 and PP1 connector software on 3 client PC's.  The WHS is only used for night automatic backup.  The backup window starts at 1:am and ends at 6:00 a.m.  This has proved to be plenty of time for the 3 clients to be backed up.

Every now and then (maybe once every couple of weeks) the auto backup for one of the clients simply does not start - this morning it was the "studio" client, the last time this happened it was the "digital" client - it's not always the same client.

This morning I logged into the Console and looked at the error log in the Event Viewer Add-In and also in the event log for the Toolkit V1.1 that I also have installed.  I couldn't find any error at all in the Event Viewer and most of the information in the Toolkit logs I don't understand.

I assume the backup service is running because I do not get the message the backup service is not running.

I have seen other posts on this forum and also the We Got Served forum that this is happening to other people too.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

My second question is about submitting bug reports or trying to get help on Microsoft Connect.  Several times in the past people trying to help me have suggested I submit a bug report on Connect.  I have tried but it is very confusing to me how to do it correctly.  The last time I submitted a bug report after several days I got a message from Connect telling me I submitted it incorrectly and that the "team" never received it.  There is a Rating, Validation, Workarounds and Watchlist blocks in the Feedback screen.  I am suppose to do something with these?

Any suggestions on how to use Connect would really be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards, Bill Artman Kansas City - USA
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:33 PM

Answers

• I wonder..... Just for fun, could you change the backup window back to 12 to 6 and see what happens.  Home server kinda randomly selects the backup times and I wonder if there might be a kink and it still gives a box a 12:30 backup time?

Still......

Grey
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:13 PM

All replies

• Bill Artman said:

Hello

I am using WHS with PP1 and PP1 connector software on 3 client PC's.  The WHS is only used for night automatic backup.  The backup window starts at 1:am and ends at 6:00 a.m.  This has proved to be plenty of time for the 3 clients to be backed up.

Every now and then (maybe once every couple of weeks) the auto backup for one of the clients simply does not start - this morning it was the "studio" client, the last time this happened it was the "digital" client - it's not always the same client.

This morning I logged into the Console and looked at the error log in the Event Viewer Add-In and also in the event log for the Toolkit V1.1 that I also have installed.  I couldn't find any error at all in the Event Viewer and most of the information in the Toolkit logs I don't understand.

I assume the backup service is running because I do not get the message the backup service is not running.

I have seen other posts on this forum and also the We Got Served forum that this is happening to other people too.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

My second question is about submitting bug reports or trying to get help on Microsoft Connect.  Several times in the past people trying to help me have suggested I submit a bug report on Connect.  I have tried but it is very confusing to me how to do it correctly.  The last time I submitted a bug report after several days I got a message from Connect telling me I submitted it incorrectly and that the "team" never received it.  There is a Rating, Validation, Workarounds and Watchlist blocks in the Feedback screen.  I am suppose to do something with these?

Any suggestions on how to use Connect would really be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

I have no suggestions for the first part of your post.  As for the second (how to post a bug report on Connect), you should check Lara Jones's first post in this thread.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:22 PM
  • Bill,

What are the details of your Clients, laptops/desktops, O/S, hibernate/sleep, etc.,
    Also, do you use any other form of 'copying' programs on any of the Clients? Just wondering if it's a particular operation on the Client which is interfering.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Colin;

Thanks for your reply - sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back on the forum.  I have three XP clients.  Hibernation in the Power Option panel is NOT enabled.  All three clients are powered on 24 by 7 and so is the WHS.  The only copy program that I am using in on one of the clients is Robo Copy.  On that machine every 15 minutes Robo Copy copies the contents of one client folder to a WHS shared folder.  I am doing this so the data in that one client folder is copied/backed up in close to real time instead of having to wait for the nightly backup.

Thanks!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 6:27 AM
  • I wonder..... Just for fun, could you change the backup window back to 12 to 6 and see what happens.  Home server kinda randomly selects the backup times and I wonder if there might be a kink and it still gives a box a 12:30 backup time?

Still......

Grey
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 3:13 PM

• Grey, thanks for your reply.  I have changed the backup window back to 12 to 6 - I hope that fixes the problem.

Thanks - have a super day!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:16 PM