Problem with using SyncToy for SharePoint document synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• According to the guides I have been able to find, it should only be a matter of setting up the sharepoint folder as a network place.

I can create the network place, I browse to it as a right folder in SyncToy, but then nothing happens. The right folder text box is still empty and the "Next->" button is disabled. It seems I cannot select a web folder?

Thank you,

Janus Sejr Jensen

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:48 PM

Answers

• There's some instructions and a thread here on how you may do this: http://blogs.msdn.com/cjohnson/archive/2005/10/12/479855.aspx

However, it doesn't seems like a sure thing since it only seems to work if youre Sharepoint site doesnt use SSL and is not behind a firewall. YMMV.

Essentially, if you can get a drive mapped to your Sharepoint server/library and explore that drive using Windows Explorer, you can sync it using SyncToy. SyncToy doesn't do anything special for this.

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:57 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• There's some instructions and a thread here on how you may do this: http://blogs.msdn.com/cjohnson/archive/2005/10/12/479855.aspx

However, it doesn't seems like a sure thing since it only seems to work if youre Sharepoint site doesnt use SSL and is not behind a firewall. YMMV.

Essentially, if you can get a drive mapped to your Sharepoint server/library and explore that drive using Windows Explorer, you can sync it using SyncToy. SyncToy doesn't do anything special for this.

Friday, August 22, 2008 9:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Thank you for that.

I can connect the Sharepoint folder as a network place but I cannot add it as a network drive. Some Windows issue then, I guess.

But from the instructions in the link you gave, it should be enough with the link in network places. SyncToy requires a network drive and not just link in network places?

Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:58 PM
  • Yeah, sorry. SyncToy requires that your Sharepoint location be mapped to a network drive. Just an entry in Network Places is not enough.

Monday, August 25, 2008 12:39 AM
    Answerer