Missing "Follow Up" button for received Email activity RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently noticed that when looking at received Emails in CRM, some of them will have the "Follow Up" button missing from the top of the form.  The only thing that those Emails seem to have in common is that the From line contains a known User or Contact (they are resolved).  All of the emails from Unresolved recipients have the Follow Up button available.

From a practical standpoint, users want the ability to Follow Up on any Email that has been tracked in CRM.  Does anyone know why it only seems to work when the sender is unresolved?

Thanks.

Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:27 PM

Answers

• So, here's the deal.

Follow-Up is only supposed to be available to Open records,  Records that have been Closed or Completed should not have access to that function.  Simple enough.

There is a caveat to that when dealing with Emails.  The status of an Email is usually somewhere in between Open and Completed.  When you track an email, it does make most of the fields read-only (closed), but it still allows you to edit the Regarding field or any custom fields you may have added to the form (open).  Technically the record is Closed so you shouldn't be able to Follow-Up.

However, if there is an unresolved email address anywhere in the email's From, To, Cc, Bcc fields, the Email is in a semi-Open status until that email address is resolved.  That means the Follow-Up button is available.

In my case, I have users that want to use the "Follow Up" functionality for Closed emails, which seems reasonable, but is not the way MS designed it.  The fact that "Follow Up" appeared in some emails and not in others only confused the issue, which was likely part of the reason MS has abandoned the function altogether in CRM 2011.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:49 PM

All replies

• Can anyone at least confirm this behaviour?  If I look at an email from an unresolved email address, the Followup button is available.  If I resolve that email address to an existing contact and Save the record, the Followup button is instantly removed.

This is in CRM 4.0

• Edited by Keithkl Monday, January 17, 2011 5:06 PM
    Monday, January 17, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Interesting, I never come across this. I am curious to know if anyone has an answer for this.
    Monday, January 17, 2011 4:27 PM
  • I just wanted to post the same issue. Somehow the folluw up icon is missing when unresolved e-mail adresses are known in the email record. Somehow we can't give a explanation that makes sense. It left us out of the blue too.

Is there anybody how can explain this behaviour for us?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Maybe the 'follow-up' notification is a flag that let's people know to take action and resolve the unresolved e-mail address.  Once that goes away so does the flag.  Sounds like it is working as designed.

If you have an e-mail that you want to trigger a follow-up task on, I suggest adding a custom field to the e-mail entity so you can flag the e-mail for follow-up.  You can then create a workflow to run against e-mails.  The workflow can look for the flag and check that the e-mail is 'newly' created, then create a follow-up task.

Regards, Donna

• Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:02 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Keithkl Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:34 PM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:02 PM
  • The "Follow Up" button also exists in other entities such as Account and Contact.  It's simply a shortcut to create additional Activities (Task, Letter, Phonecall, etc.) through the Form Assistant, so it doesn't function as a flag in any sense.

At any rate, I'm currently working on the issue with an Escalation Engineer from Microsoft, so I will post whatever result comes out of this.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011 8:14 PM
  • So, here's the deal.

Follow-Up is only supposed to be available to Open records,  Records that have been Closed or Completed should not have access to that function.  Simple enough.

There is a caveat to that when dealing with Emails.  The status of an Email is usually somewhere in between Open and Completed.  When you track an email, it does make most of the fields read-only (closed), but it still allows you to edit the Regarding field or any custom fields you may have added to the form (open).  Technically the record is Closed so you shouldn't be able to Follow-Up.

However, if there is an unresolved email address anywhere in the email's From, To, Cc, Bcc fields, the Email is in a semi-Open status until that email address is resolved.  That means the Follow-Up button is available.

In my case, I have users that want to use the "Follow Up" functionality for Closed emails, which seems reasonable, but is not the way MS designed it.  The fact that "Follow Up" appeared in some emails and not in others only confused the issue, which was likely part of the reason MS has abandoned the function altogether in CRM 2011.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 3:49 PM
  • Thank you for taking the time to follow-up and explain in detail.  We appreciate it!

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:23 PM
  • With regards to CRM 2011, is the follow up button abandonded completely?

That is, it is not available in any entity?

Thanks.

Diz
    Monday, May 30, 2011 12:33 AM