What is WHS OEM version? RRS feed

• Question

• I went to my local PC store, and they sell there:
    "Microsoft Windows Server Home 32bit, with 10 CAL, oem"

I assumed that it should be Windows home server. Anyway, when I ask to buy it, I was told that it is OEM version, and can be bought only with pre-built server.
    So, how do you guys get your OEM versions if you build server yourself? Is it legal?

Monday, October 13, 2008 7:30 AM

Answers

• Hello,
    you can buy Windows Home Server in 3 versions:
    • as a complete hardware package (Windows Home Server preinstalled on certain hardware)
    • as OEM version (which is usually bundled with some hardware, but depending from the location or the vendor can also be sold without (i.e. here in Germany)
    • as System builder version (a little bit cheaper than the OEM version, but you must be Microsoft authorized system builder)
    In first case the maker of the hardware is the main support instance, in the last two cases you are the person in charge for support.
    A retail version of the software package does not exist.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Bulma Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:09 AM
    Monday, October 13, 2008 8:28 AM
  • You can get the OEM version online at Amazon.  That is where I got mine.  The primary difference between buying a pre-built system and buying the OEM version is that you do not get any support with the OEM version.  You are on your own.  Installation, however, is very straight forward and easy to accomplish.  Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Server-OEM/dp/B000VWW8QQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223904891&sr=8-1
    Monday, October 13, 2008 1:36 PM
  • There are only two ways to purchase Windows Home Server. (Well, I'm sure there's an illegal torrent somewhere, but I wouldn't trust my family's data to ripped/cracked software, would you?) You can purchase it pre-installed on hardware like the HP MediaSmart Server or similar offerings from Fujitsu-Siemens and others, or you can buy a system builder package. The system builder package is sometimes referred to as an "OEM" package, but it's all the same. You get a WHS installation DVD, a Home Computer Restore CD, a Connector Installation CD, and (at least you used to) an OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) CD.

As for the legality of buying the system builder package, Microsoft has removed the hardware requirement, so in theory you can buy WHS by itself. If a particular vendor insists you buy hardware along with it, I recommend buying online instead.

Edit: okay, there's a third way to get it legally. You buy a system from a system builder. That's going to be Windows Home Server preinstalled by the system builder (not an OEM, OEMs are higer volume) on semi-custom pardware. It will usually come with the same disks that the system builder package includes, except the OPK. An OEM machine will usually have a server recovery DVD instead of the installation DVD.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, October 13, 2008 3:43 PM *more* info
    Monday, October 13, 2008 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    you can buy Windows Home Server in 3 versions:
    • as a complete hardware package (Windows Home Server preinstalled on certain hardware)
    • as OEM version (which is usually bundled with some hardware, but depending from the location or the vendor can also be sold without (i.e. here in Germany)
    • as System builder version (a little bit cheaper than the OEM version, but you must be Microsoft authorized system builder)
    In first case the maker of the hardware is the main support instance, in the last two cases you are the person in charge for support.
    A retail version of the software package does not exist.

Olaf
    Monday, October 13, 2008 8:28 AM
  • You can get the OEM version online at Amazon.  That is where I got mine.  The primary difference between buying a pre-built system and buying the OEM version is that you do not get any support with the OEM version.  You are on your own.  Installation, however, is very straight forward and easy to accomplish.  Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Server-OEM/dp/B000VWW8QQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1223904891&sr=8-1
    Monday, October 13, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Amazon.com does not deliver to each country, so it may depend from the OPs location.
    Olaf
    Monday, October 13, 2008 2:04 PM
  • There are only two ways to purchase Windows Home Server. (Well, I'm sure there's an illegal torrent somewhere, but I wouldn't trust my family's data to ripped/cracked software, would you?) You can purchase it pre-installed on hardware like the HP MediaSmart Server or similar offerings from Fujitsu-Siemens and others, or you can buy a system builder package. The system builder package is sometimes referred to as an "OEM" package, but it's all the same. You get a WHS installation DVD, a Home Computer Restore CD, a Connector Installation CD, and (at least you used to) an OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) CD.

As for the legality of buying the system builder package, Microsoft has removed the hardware requirement, so in theory you can buy WHS by itself. If a particular vendor insists you buy hardware along with it, I recommend buying online instead.

Edit: okay, there's a third way to get it legally. You buy a system from a system builder. That's going to be Windows Home Server preinstalled by the system builder (not an OEM, OEMs are higer volume) on semi-custom pardware. It will usually come with the same disks that the system builder package includes, except the OPK. An OEM machine will usually have a server recovery DVD instead of the installation DVD.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, October 13, 2008 3:43 PM *more* info
    Monday, October 13, 2008 3:38 PM
  • Thank you guys for explanation. Even that Amazon doesn't ship to every country, there are some stores on Amazon, like TekGalaxy that does ship around the world, shipping cost is a bit high (90$), but it's better than nothing...
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 11:09 AM