Backup Times? RRS feed

• Question

• In vail we do not appear (unless i have missed it) to be able to set when the client PC's are backed up

we could set a window in v1 say 21:00 to 23:00 which i used as a period when i would only be using my machines lightly for the backups to take place etc

is this now just a missing feature in v2 for this realease and to be added later or has the decision to remove this been made?

thinking from the green perspective as do not want to have to leave my machines in standby for a random wake up and then expect them to go back to sleep on their own or will v2 be able to do this?

2 home servers plus vail test server 10tb storage combined
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:17 PM

Answers

• Spider10,

The ability to set a customized backup window is included in v2 but the UI wizard to customize the window was not completed prior to the public beta release.

Robert

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Tim Norton Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:12 PM

All replies

• Ok by a bit of experimentation i have found out that the backup time is between 00:00 and 06:00 for pc backups

found by reconfiguring a backup for a pc (excluding directories) and once you have completed your changes v2 gives you a confirmation message which inclides the period when the backups will run

still need a easy way to change this though :)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Spider10,

The ability to set a customized backup window is included in v2 but the UI wizard to customize the window was not completed prior to the public beta release.

Robert

Robert Dhaene [MSFT]

Post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Tim Norton Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:29 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:12 PM
  • There's no interface, certainly. I've done a little digging through the registry and a couple of other locations on the server and don't see any way to configure it there, so it may have been removed intentionally and (probably) permanently. There are registry settings on the client which probably affect backups; they're found here:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\Backup

and the values are WindowsBeginTime and WindowEndTime (both DWORDs). They appear to be in minutes past midnight UTC. Since I'm in the US, in the EST time zone, mine are 240 and 600.

If you think it's something that should be added back into the product (to be controlled in the Dashboard), you can always submit a suggestion on Connect .

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:20 PM
  • Thanks Ken and Robert

was just digging in the registry and task schedular myself as well looking for the "settings" - found the ones (task) for the server itself to backup - as i just set this up

if its not in this UI thats fine will wait for next release etc

Cheers

Tim

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:29 PM