From XP Pro (nonvalid) to XP home edition (valid and legit) RRS feed

• Question

• I got this computer from a third party and have no installation cds or disks of any kind.  The validation tool says the copy of in WinXP Pro is not valid.  I have a valid XP home edition key for a copy I purchased a year or so ago to use on an old computer that has since crashed and burned.

Is there an easy way to enter the key without having to reformat? I've tried the validation change key utility but it states the key is not for the version of windows the computer is running. 

Am I looking at a reformat and reinstall of all my windows products, which by the way are legit? Or am I looking at just wiping everything and starting with a *nix OS? (which is very tempting by the way)

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:20 PM

Answers

• It looks like you're using Genuine XP Home. Can you clarify your issue?
    Monday, July 24, 2006 7:19 AM

All replies

• No, you'll have to reformat unfortunately..
    Friday, July 21, 2006 6:35 PM
  • It's unfortunate that Windows is unable to resolve a problem such as this with the amount and quality of resources and programmers the company has at its disposal.  There are utilities for removal of malicious software, etc, etc.  Why not a simple utility to solve the problem that I (and many other windows users I'm sure) are having?  Is it too much to ask for? 

I may as well toss the copies of windows I have in the trash and start over. 

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:46 PM
  • Because of the large amnount of differences between Home and Pro, there isn't a tool out there (that we are aware of) that can do a "switch" like that.

We understand that the process is somewhat painful. I agree with you. Part of the reason WGA exists is for educating the customer on the correct licening practices, as well as really trying to differentiate genuine from non-genuine software.

Our tool Product Key Update Tool was specifically made for home to home or pro to pro moving of product keys.

-phil

Friday, July 21, 2006 6:56 PM
  • It isn't simply that it's painful.  It takes a huge amount of time given the processor speed that this old computer has, not to mention the loss of data that will occur.  It's a huge inconvenience.  Is no one listening? I honestly am done with windows.
    Friday, July 21, 2006 7:01 PM
  • Please visit: www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on "Validate Windows". When validation fails, you'll see a button to click on which will provide information on how to acquire a WGA Kit. This kit will provide instructions to change the existing non-genuine Windows XP Professional Product Key to a genuine Windows XP Professional Product Key and no reinstallation will be required.
    Friday, July 21, 2006 8:20 PM
  •  cam29 wrote:
    It isn't simply that it's painful.  It takes a huge amount of time given the processor speed that this old computer has, not to mention the loss of data that will occur.  It's a huge inconvenience.  Is no one listening? I honestly am done with windows.

You can report your reseller at www.howtotell.com about this issue and have our legal department take action.

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:38 PM
  • Cam29,

Please donate you unwanted copies of Windows and other software to a worthy charity rather than toss then in the trash can.

Thank You!

Saturday, July 22, 2006 2:27 AM
  • The problem, as I stated before, is that this used computer was obtained from a second party. The computer was worked on at one point and reformatted due to viruses, before I obtained it.  Windows was installed.  I have no idea who the person is who worked on the computer, where he/she is, or where the disks that are supposed to go with this computer are.   I have no way of knowing even who to report.  Trust me, it would be great if I could get this matter taken care of.  I've always believed in buying a product that is used so I own a legal copy of it.  In this case, however, it isn't quite that simple.

And since we're really getting down to the nitty gritty since my reformat/reinstall failed to get rid of that horribly annoying "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" balloon floating around everywhere, tell me, what is the address to report Walmart? I mean, that's where I got the version of WinXP home edition.  I'll gladly send you the disc and let Microsoft take on Walmart. Just let me know.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 12:12 AM
  •  

If you decide to persevere with Windows, the only 'genuine, valid, complete bugless' instruction you can hope for is to avoid installing 'Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)'. 

You will need to reformat your drive again, reinstall the OS and download the mass of updates but use the 'custom' option on the Windows Update page to locate and deselect KB905474.  Then choose the option to hide this update and make sure you turn off 'automatic updates' on your machine to avoid further encounters with this piece of nonsense.

It has worked for me.  See my experience at http://forums.microsoft.com/genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=525392&SiteID=25

I also agree with the opinion on expressed at http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2006/july17.php#wga that despite Microsoft's claim of an 80% success rate with WGA that 'software that does it wrong on every fifth attempt is software that needs to go back to the debugger'.

MF

Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:46 AM
  • I agree with that opinion also.  This isn't the first time Microsoft has tossed out software that is *cough* buggy, to say the least.  Aren't there thousands of computers at the Microsoft headquarters that could be tested FIRST before causing consumers worldwide problems?  I guess not.

If I can't get this problem fixed, which I doubt I can, without another reformat then I know where I'm headed.  The next cd in the drive will end with the letters *nix. 

It's sloppy work and it reflects VERY poorly on Microsoft as a whole, not to mention Mr. Gates in particular. 

Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:57 AM
  • Cam29,

Please follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

***Cam29, in your case you are using a retail XP Home ed upgrade license, so there would not necessarily be a COA on the computer itself.

BTW, there was no need to actually install W98 before installing XP Home upgrade.  If you started from a blank HDD, then inserted the XP CD, Setup would ask you to insert the W98 CD as qualifying media, then it would tell you OK and then tell you to put the XP CD back in and it would go on its merry way installing XP.  This is preferable to the technique of installing W98 then upgrading over top of it to XP.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Sunday, July 23, 2006 8:32 PM
  • I'm not a tech nor do I have much knowledge of computers especially their inner workings and how to reinstall/install operating systems.  I did the best I could given the situation. 

I've already copied and pasted the code in another message, but since you requested here goes again.  Code can be found below.  No reply yet from anyone at Microsoft.  The code, btw, says that my version of WinXP IS GENUINE. 

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-6WRBR-XX4WD-2BHV7
    Windows Product Key Hash: dgbWqYMGh1iF/Z8r/4qKtJ34b8A=
    Windows Product ID: 55285-015-7650622-21912
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.1.0.hom
    Download Center code: YMC3LY9
    ID: c13d109f-e301-4989-a4ca-7cb34ddbf2fc
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.540.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    Cache refresh Interval: 543 seconds
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.540.0
    Signatue Type: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109
    Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>c13d109f-e301-4989-a4ca-7cb34ddbf2fc</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.1.0.hom</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-2BHV7</PKey><PID>55285-015-7650622-21912</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1343024091-1563985344-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Compaq PC</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686S4</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19991228******.******+***</Date></BIOS><HWID>5FBB3E6F01842055</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:48 PM
  • Cam29,

Info on COA?

Since the computer is a Compaq, it's very likely that there is a COA affixed to it.

If the COA is for XP Home, I have to ask why a retail copy has been installed, only asking because in a manner of speaking it is a "waste" of a license---the COA would indicate that the computer was already OEM-licensed, and a second license woul be the retail copy of XP Home installed.

If the COA is for W98 or WMe, that explains the retail license, which under such circumstances would most likely be a retail upgrade.

Your installation of XP Home seems to be showing the right indicators for version numbers and such, we'll have to wait until the "genuine" MS guys can look and ask about various registry key and NTFS file and folder permissions.

Monday, July 24, 2006 1:11 AM
  • It looks like you're using Genuine XP Home. Can you clarify your issue?
    Monday, July 24, 2006 7:19 AM
  •  

Deef nghij quys ngaif caaps giaays pheps cho tooi dduwowcj pheps suwr dungj heej ddieeuf hanhf WindowsXP SP1

ddeer phucj vuj coong vieecj nghieen cuwus khoa hocj veef ddowif soongd nhaan sinh xax hooij .

Xin traan thanhf camr own quys ngaif .

nguyendat32@vnn.vn

Monday, July 24, 2006 7:30 AM
  • As I've stated previously several times I continue to get the annoying "You may be the victim of software blah blah" alert.  That's one of the problems.  I am unable to use or download sp2 and continue to receive messages that the install failed and windows may not work properly.
    Monday, July 24, 2006 10:15 AM
  • As I have stated previously in this thread I got this computer from a third party.  No disks were provided with it.  I have a copy of win98 that I purchased to use on a computer that has since crashed and burned.  I later purchased winxp to upgrade with.  That is why it has a retail version installed.
    Monday, July 24, 2006 10:17 AM