Older MCSE 2003 Training Kit. Still useful? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm interested in getting my MCSA and perhaps MCSE. A friend of mine who took it years ago gave me his complete Training Kit from Microsoft Press including the CD. I noticed that it is a first edition printed in 2004. There is a 2nd edition available printed in 2006. Is it worth it to buy the updated 2nd edition or will I be fine with the one my friend gave me? Thanks.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:06 PM

Answers

• I'm interested in getting my MCSA and perhaps MCSE. A friend of mine who took it years ago gave me his complete Training Kit from Microsoft Press including the CD. I noticed that it is a first edition printed in 2004. There is a 2nd edition available printed in 2006. Is it worth it to buy the updated 2nd edition or will I be fine with the one my friend gave me? Thanks.

It really depends on your experience that you already have. 

As for study material, I would say that the first edition would be fine, in addition to Microsoft's Technet site.  I would also say to not rely on only 1 study resource, I always use two or more (eg MSPress & Sybex for books, CBTNuggets/Learnkey/Trainsignal for CBT's, Preplogic/Transcender/Boson/Measure-Up for practice exams) and would recommend that to anyone.  Just remember to get hands on experience with the technology also, the MCSA/MCSE is not a theory exam.
    -Ken | http://ken.wagnerfamily.co.uk
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 5:43 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:06 PM

All replies

It really depends on your experience that you already have. 

As for study material, I would say that the first edition would be fine, in addition to Microsoft's Technet site.  I would also say to not rely on only 1 study resource, I always use two or more (eg MSPress & Sybex for books, CBTNuggets/Learnkey/Trainsignal for CBT's, Preplogic/Transcender/Boson/Measure-Up for practice exams) and would recommend that to anyone.  Just remember to get hands on experience with the technology also, the MCSA/MCSE is not a theory exam.
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Friday, January 8, 2010 5:43 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. I will study the guide and look into another training resource. I've work with server 2003 at work but want to really understand it and get certified. Thanks again.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Thanks for the advice. I will study the guide and look into another training resource. I've work with server 2003 at work but want to really understand it and get certified. Thanks again.

Cool, if this is your first MS cert/exam, I would say go for the client exam first.  They are easier than the server/network exams so it'll be like easing you in :)
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:32 PM
  • And the second edition would be more inline with the current version of the exam, however for the most part ,the first one would most likely be sufficient to cover the objectives thoroughly.So, you can give your choice
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 7:13 AM