Format on ACER Aspire 1350 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have an ACER Aspire 1350 for 4 years. 2 years ago I changed the DVD-RW to a faster one, and recently I upgraded the RAM.

There was a lot of time that I wanted to format the notebook and put everything from scratch. Since the ACER installs some stuff I don' t want I decided to install I pirate version and use my own cd key. Unfortunately when I was installing the pirated XP Home the installation told me that I entered a wrong s/n. So, I entered the pirate serial and continued the installation. Then, I found the software that changes the serial number and....nothing happened. I try to validate and I can't, since it says that there is not exist that serial.

What can I do? I don't want this stuff the ACER installs. I have to uninstall a lot of things, and clean the registry. Also the recovery cd works only for FAT32, and I want NTFS.

Any ideas?

The sticker says:

Windows XP Home Edition

Acer Incorporated

XXXXX - XXXXX - XXXXX - J6MJ4 - RO8QQ

Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:28 PM

Answers

• Cacofonix,

Please use the Recovery solution provided by Acer to cleanly install the properly licensed XP Home Edition onto your computer.

If the Recovery solution installs programs that you would rather not have on the computer, you can uninstall the programs from the Add or Remove Programs Applet in the Control Panel.  As much as you would not like to install these programs in the first place, I can assure you that they are much less dangerous that the rootkits and malware that are typically present on pirated XP CDs.

If you would rather have the file system on the computer be NTFS, please have a look at this MS KB article that explains how to use the convert command to convert a FAT32 partition to an NTFS partition:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097/en-us

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:52 PM
  • Cacofonix,

Those are questions that are specific to what Acer gives you on its Recovery CD.  Maybe there are answers to your questions in the customer support forums at Acer's support website.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 3:16 PM

All replies

• Since the Acer Windows XP Home Edition product key (license) is only valid with Acer's recommended recovery method, you'll need to purchase a generic OEM genuine version of Windows XP and perform a "clean install".  Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116169

Clean Install Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Saturday, March 31, 2007 7:15 PM
  • Cacofonix,

Please use the Recovery solution provided by Acer to cleanly install the properly licensed XP Home Edition onto your computer.

If the Recovery solution installs programs that you would rather not have on the computer, you can uninstall the programs from the Add or Remove Programs Applet in the Control Panel.  As much as you would not like to install these programs in the first place, I can assure you that they are much less dangerous that the rootkits and malware that are typically present on pirated XP CDs.

If you would rather have the file system on the computer be NTFS, please have a look at this MS KB article that explains how to use the convert command to convert a FAT32 partition to an NTFS partition:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097/en-us

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:52 PM
  •  

I wanted to slipstream the SP2 in a Home installation.

Can I do it in the recovery disc? Can I tell the programm to install only the Windows and not the drivers and everything else? Can I recover my PC on NTFS and not in FAT32?

Sunday, April 1, 2007 1:40 PM
  • Cacofonix,

Those are questions that are specific to what Acer gives you on its Recovery CD.  Maybe there are answers to your questions in the customer support forums at Acer's support website.

Sunday, April 1, 2007 3:16 PM