off topic - Disk Cleanup Scan won't complete RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

G'day - Trying the OneCare, thought it might remove a bug that SpyBot & SpySweeper found but could not/did not eliminate (virtumonde). Been running now for 48 hours on a 2000 sp4 machine that hasn't been used much recently and for over a day sits at 21% on the disk cleanup. So, can I close or cancel it - will it still retain the virus/spywares detected (9 issues), and the registry items found (606 invalid items) - hate too lose all that cleaning ...

It's the only app running yet using 90+ of the CPU. Has 10g free HD space, 368m of memory, a 900m Athlon processor and on an office network that sits on a T1. Would like hints as to anything I can do ...

thanx

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:40 PM

All replies

• Anti-Spyware Tools | VundoFix 7.00 ===VirtumundoBeGone

This Should help you out. this happened to me. and i used this tool.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4954.html  ===VundoFix 7.00

http://www.magnesiummedia.com/pcutilities/details34655.html  ==VirtumundoBeGone

Automated Removal Instructions for the Vundo or Virtumonde infection using VundoFix:

1. Please print these instructions as they will be needed later when Internet access is not available.

2. Save these instructions in word or notepad to the desktop where they can be easily found.

3. Download Vundo Fix and save it to your desktop.

4. When it has completed downloading, double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.

5. Click the Scan for Vundo button.

6. Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.

7. You will now receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click the YES button. Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.

8. When completed, it will prompt that it will shutdown your computer, click the OK button.

9. When the computer has shutdown, turn your computer back on.

The WinFixer and Vundo infection should now be removed from your computer.

If you are still having a problem then please perform the following steps:

Note: This step should only be used if the instructions in the previous steps did not remove the infection:

1. Download VirtumundoBegone and save it to your desktop.

2. Now reboot into Safe Mode.

1. This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer

2. You will be brought to a menu where you can choose to boot into safe mode.

3. Select safe mode with networking using your arrow keys on the keyboard and then press enter.

4. When you computer reaches the desktop make sure you log in as the same user which you had performed the previous steps,

3. Once you are logged into safe mode, double-click VirtumundoBeGone.exe file you just downloaded and follow the instructions.

4. Exit when it has finished, and reboot back to normal mode.

The WinFixer and Vundo infection should now be removed from your computer. Conclusion

Then I found Another solution by inserting a Windows XP CD into the drive and booting from it. I then chose the repair option which landed me at a command prompt. From here, I navigated to c:\windows\help\mui\accas.dll and renamed the file. Commands:
    c:
    cd\windows\help\mui
    ren accas.dll accas.old

I then rebooted the computer and used Windows Defender to remove the remaining files infected by VirtuMondo which in the end was an easy solution, but nowhere to be found!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 8:53 PM
  • daddiesson;

You're on the wrong forum for the Safety Scanner, as this is the subscription Live OneCare application forums.  However, once you're into a disk cleanup, the Protection and Registry scan sections have fully completed.  Go ahead and cancel.

http://boards.live.com/safetyboards/forum.aspx?ForumID=13

M.d.giest;

Thanks for documenting the WindowsXP CD repair / Windows Defender technique, an interesting solution.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Dont thank me thank my brother  He was one who told me how to do it lol. He has been working with windows for a long time. Infact he is china right now teaching the ways of windows lol.

Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:40 PM