Windows Vista Enterprise? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

My laptop is now in restricted mode. It`s just a black background, and three options pops up when I log in. In the corner its a phrase saying This copy is not genuine. (But I'm pretty sure it is)

1 Activate Windows now
    2 Get access to the computer, with reduced function
    3 Re-enter the validation key

When I choose option 1. I get a message saying; Your attempt to re-activate Windows were unsuccessful. Then it says:

Found following information about this error:
    Code: 0x8007232B
    Description: DNS-name does not exist

When I choose option 2. I can access Internet, and also some other functions if I use the web to open the programs. But when I try to validate, I`m told that I have to activate my Windows Vista. And when I follow the instructions to activate, I just end up with the three options I`m describing now. And non of them works.

When I choose option 3. I get a message saying that I have to enter the key for Windows Vista Enterprise. Or install Windows Vista all over again. But it`s the key on the sticker on the bottom of my computer. So I don`t have any other.

I just have to excuse my really bad english! My computer are also set on Norwegian, so I`we translated as good as I can.
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 7:39 PM

Answers

• Hello Miimil,

Enterprise versions of Vista can only use Volume Licence keys.

There are two kinds of Volume Licence Keys: KMS and MAK

a) A KMS key is a Volume License Key that is used to establish an activation service that is hosted locally in your environment. After the service is established, you can activate your client and server computers by connecting to the KMS host computer. Computers activated through KMS must reactivate at least once every six months by connecting to the KMS host.

In other words, the Organization (company or school) would set up a KMS server and all the employees (or students) would set up their computer to connect to that KMS server, to Activate

b) A Multiple Activation Key (MAK) is a Volume License Key that activates your client and server computers by connecting them to a Microsoft activation server one time. After the computers are activated, no further communication with Microsoft is required.

In other words this key is similar to a Retail key, but can only be activated (against Microsoft's Activation servers) a limited number of times.

In either case, weather you do not have your KMS set up to connect to the correct KMS server or your MAK key has reached it's limit of Activations, you will need to contact the IT dept or Network administrator of the Organization that ownes the Volume Licenses (in your case, your schools IT dept or network admin) for assistance in either correctly setting up your computer to connect to the KMS server or raising the Activation limits on the MAK key.

You can find additional information on Volume Licenses at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/ActivationFAQ/default.mspx

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 10:09 PM

All replies

• How did you acquire your copy of Windows Vista Enterprise?  Computer manufacturers do not install this version of Vista on their computers.
    They usually install an OEM version only.

Windows Vista Enterprise edition is a Volume License product that requires a unique method to activate.  Please read the following document.

Windows Vista Volume Activation 2.0 Technical Guidance
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=9893F83E-C8A5-4475-B025-66C6B38B46E3&displaylang=en

Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    Sunday, August 3, 2008 8:47 PM
  • I`m sorry.

I went to the page, and I can`t download anything the way my computer works right now.

Is there any possible way to just activate Windows Vista?

The reason I got Enterprise, I think, is because it`s the computer the one we receive at school. But I`m starting in a new class, and then we get new computers. So we get to keep the old ones. Everyone in Norway get their computers at school.

Monday, August 4, 2008 7:20 AM
  • Hello Miimil,

Enterprise versions of Vista can only use Volume Licence keys.

There are two kinds of Volume Licence Keys: KMS and MAK

a) A KMS key is a Volume License Key that is used to establish an activation service that is hosted locally in your environment. After the service is established, you can activate your client and server computers by connecting to the KMS host computer. Computers activated through KMS must reactivate at least once every six months by connecting to the KMS host.

In other words, the Organization (company or school) would set up a KMS server and all the employees (or students) would set up their computer to connect to that KMS server, to Activate

b) A Multiple Activation Key (MAK) is a Volume License Key that activates your client and server computers by connecting them to a Microsoft activation server one time. After the computers are activated, no further communication with Microsoft is required.

In other words this key is similar to a Retail key, but can only be activated (against Microsoft's Activation servers) a limited number of times.

In either case, weather you do not have your KMS set up to connect to the correct KMS server or your MAK key has reached it's limit of Activations, you will need to contact the IT dept or Network administrator of the Organization that ownes the Volume Licenses (in your case, your schools IT dept or network admin) for assistance in either correctly setting up your computer to connect to the KMS server or raising the Activation limits on the MAK key.

You can find additional information on Volume Licenses at http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/ActivationFAQ/default.mspx

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Monday, August 4, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Thank you for your responses. I will try to contact my old school.
    Very grateful:)
    • Edited by miimil Tuesday, August 5, 2008 4:46 PM It was mispelled
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 4:45 PM