How to develop custom Project Detail Pages RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

is there a way to develop custom Project Detail Pages for Project Server 2010, on which I can put some validation logic, for example? I've searched the internet and didn't find useful information. Is it possible at all?

Regards,

Ronny

• Edited by ronny_kl Monday, November 8, 2010 8:21 AM Added version of Project Server
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Project Detail Pages themselves are just simple Web Part Pages that are stored in a page library. You can't encode business logic directly into the page, rather you would either need to develop your own web parts with validation, or use the Project Fields webpart that ships with Project Server 2010 and encode the business logic into an associated workflow. As the workflows are built with Visual Studio 2010, you have the power to encode as much validation logic as you can handle :) 

Hope this helps,

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, November 8, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for the answer. I'm currently developing Project Server workflows, but for me the workflow seems to be not the right "place" for some logic, for example: I want to implement two cascading drop downs in a Project Detail Page (when I select a value from the first drop down, the second one should be filtered accordingly based on the selected value of the first one) or I want to implement field level security (based on the role of the current user, he should be allowed to enter data or not). For those scenarios I think I need a custom Project Detail Page with code.

In SharePoint I can develop custom Edit forms for SharePoint lists with appropriate logic (e.g. do some validation, get data from external systems and so on). The question is, is this also possible in Project Server?

Regards,

Ronny

Monday, November 8, 2010 11:22 AM
  • If you use Infopath for the forms you can include data validation and other things as well. Here is an article which might help you get started with some simple validation:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822032

Jack Dahlgren blogs at:
    Project and Retrovention
    and rarely Twitter
    • Proposed as answer by Jack Dahlgren MVP Tuesday, November 9, 2010 12:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by ronny_kl Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:47 PM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 3:40 PM
  • Jack is 100% correct, Infopath would be an option. Check out the solution starters at http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/P2010SolutionStarter, specifically the InfoPath Form Viewer Web Part that can be used to host your infopath form in a PDP.
    Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by ronny_kl Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:47 PM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 7:23 PM