none
Trying to install WHS on an IBM x3655 with a RAID controller RRS feed

• Question

• Can't seem to get this to work.  I hit F6 to install third party drivers and it ignores me.  When the setup boots, it says that it there is no Hard Drive capable of hosting WHM and would I like to specify addtional drivers.  I say, of course yes, and then it comes after a few seconds and says the same thing.

Any advice?
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:58 PM

Answers

• Thanks, I figured it out based on reading something else you said which led me back to MS tech support site.  I had the RAID drivers on a CD, not a USB key.  What happened is that it took the drivers from the CD ok, but then wanted to carry on with the install and didn't prompt me to put back in the Windows Home Server CD.  So, it just crashed and rebooted the computer without warning.  I think this is an install bug.  I out the drivers on a USB key and all is resolved.  It is humming.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:53 AM

All replies

• Try again at the F6 prompt, because the window for success is fairly small, and make sure you're using a floppy drive.

Or to simplify server recovery scenarios (because you'll have the same headaches and more in the event of e.g. OS corruption), abandon RAID. Break the array and let Windows Home Server have the individual disks.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Can't seem to get this to work.  I hit F6 to install third party drivers and it ignores me.  When the setup boots, it says that it there is no Hard Drive capable of hosting WHM and would I like to specify addtional drivers.  I say, of course yes, and then it comes after a few seconds and says the same thing.

Any advice?

First, RAID is unsupported on WHS.  The supported path is to install each drive on its own, add each drive to the storage pool through the Console, and let WHS handle the drives.

Having said that, in order to install drivers manually during the text portion of the install (where you need to press F6), it must be done from a floppy drive.  Are you using a floppy drive (or something else)?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Thanks, I figured it out based on reading something else you said which led me back to MS tech support site.  I had the RAID drivers on a CD, not a USB key.  What happened is that it took the drivers from the CD ok, but then wanted to carry on with the install and didn't prompt me to put back in the Windows Home Server CD.  So, it just crashed and rebooted the computer without warning.  I think this is an install bug.  I out the drivers on a USB key and all is resolved.  It is humming.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 1:53 AM