Can't Print from XP to Vista printer RRS feed

• Question

• Laptop-XP Home SP3-Wireless
    Desktop 1-Vista-Printer attached
    Desktop 2-Vista-Wireless

All three computers are in my OneCare Circle.
    Printer Sharing is on for Desktop 1 (and the others also).

When I try to ADD PRINTER from the Laptop, I

• select A network printer or a printer attached to another computer
    • select Browse for a printer
    • select the printer attached to Desktop 1
    • receive warning about the automatically installed driver which will follow, click YES
    • receive error message: "The server for the 'Canon Inkjet MP780 Series' printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or OEM for the correct printer driver.

I have tried downloading the driver from Canon, and get no change.

Desktops 1 and 2 print just fine.

Thanks for the help.

-Mike

Sunday, February 1, 2009 4:27 PM

Answers

• Are you using OneCare's Printer Sharing feature? I suspect not.
    OneCare can automatically share printers within the Circle as long as the PCs are of the same architecture. If your Vista machine is 64 bit and the other Vista machine and XP are 32 bit versions (of the operating system), OneCare will not be able to share the printer.
    You should, however, be able to share the printer manually using Windows File and Printer Sharing.
    I would normally advise you to check the firewall settings, but your error is specific to the printer driver, so it is seeing the printer. You'll need to contact Cannon regarding the driver for the operating system in use.
    I'll add that the XP machine will need to have the driver install to it in order to print to the shared printer.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:52 PM