Add hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Is this how. Add a second drive as a slave on the same ide cable?
    Monday, June 25, 2007 11:13 PM

Answers

• I'm making a lot of assumptions here but assuming you have one IDE drive now and you want to add another IDE drive, connecting the drive to an empty connector on the same IDE cable should work fine. Make sure that the old drive is set for either Master or Cable Select and the new drive is set for either Slave or Cable Select and it should work fine.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Make sure your computer's off when you are adding internal drives to IDE cables.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:02 PM

All replies

• I'm making a lot of assumptions here but assuming you have one IDE drive now and you want to add another IDE drive, connecting the drive to an empty connector on the same IDE cable should work fine. Make sure that the old drive is set for either Master or Cable Select and the new drive is set for either Slave or Cable Select and it should work fine.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:31 PM
  • Make sure your computer's off when you are adding internal drives to IDE cables.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2007 6:02 PM
  • If i am useing an old mb with no sata only ide am i limited to 2 hard drives that connect on the one cable.

What if i added a hd to the secondary ide cable that has the dvd rom on it.

That would asking a bit much wouldnt it?

What about adding an ide pci card with 4 ports on it.

If a hd was connected to each would they recognised?

Saturday, August 18, 2007 3:25 AM
  •  

You can add 2 devices per cable for a usual max of 4 devices ie: 3 hard drives and 1 dvd rom, once you have set up home server you could power down and remove the dvd drive and add a hard drive for 4 h drives. Or you can do what I just did and threw in a old ata100 controller card to give me a potential of 7 harddrives and 1 dvd drive. I only have 4 hard drives and 1 dvd drive at present though.If you get a card update the card bios and drivers if possible and follow the instructions to install it. Of course you have to set the drives jumpers correctly for it to all work and then in WHS console add the new drives.
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 7:22 AM