Question on the version of Money that comes with Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• My basic question is "is this a viable product?" Before I waste time setting it up with accounts and such. I used Quicken for years but stopped using it because it did not handle CD's well and kept making mistakes on updates to my Vanguard and Schwab accounts.  My main machine was an iMac so I have been using Mint but it lacks a lot in flexibility.
    Thursday, November 3, 2016 6:03 PM

All replies

• I suspect that the Windows 10 thing would be a link to MSN Money. That is a web-based thing. Microsoft Money is not a web-based program.  It used to compete with Quicken.  It is not for sale, but you can download it free via what is currently the second (sticky) post on this forum. It only runs on Windows. You would probably want Sunset for a new install.  After install, apply the patch listed in the first post.

To download from Vanguard, you can download a file from their website, but there is a program/script called PocketSense that can feed the transaction info to Money. I use that. I have a scheduled Window event start up Pocketsense at about 4:30AM daily. It picks up the previous day transactions from my credit cards and Fidelity -- my broker. I need to go to the bank's website to get the bank transactions to download into Money. Microsoft Money with PocketSense is not a plug and play thing. It requires some fairly technical actions to get it going. Part of the advantage to Microsoft Money for me is that my finances are on my computer rather than a far away web server.

I don't use Schwab, so I don't know how that would work with Pocketsense. I think I remember reading that is a problem, but I could have been thinking about something else.

Thursday, November 3, 2016 10:48 PM
  • Pocketsense works great for Schwab accounts as well.

See my blog for settings.

• Edited by ameridan Sunday, November 6, 2016 1:27 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2016 1:26 AM