Blocking out files on PC's for backup RRS feed

• Question

• Still trying to come to grips with what WHS can and can not do!

Question, I have 3 PC's that need WHS backups BUT on each there is a large folder of C:\Video files (*.AVI's) that I do not want to backup on the WHS (would require too much disk space/time).  Is there a way to be sure that WHS will backup everything else from the PC's such that if I ever need to I can rebuild and exact copy of their C: drive (- the C:\Videos folder).  I got badly burned in the past with backup software that save windows disks.   The only thing so far I trust is Acronis disk imaging/backup software.

To restore a system with Acronis you put in your new drive, Boot the CD software and point it to one backup file (on a DVD or another disk) that completely reproduces your backed up disk image as if nothing happened. With that system you can set is so it does not save (for example any *.avi files). 

What would be the simplest process with WHS in the above situation.

Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:43 PM

Answers

• You cannot set WHS to ignore specific file types (.AVIs), but you can tell it not to backup certain directories (c:\video\).

You just install the WHS connector, go into the WHS Console and configure backups not to backup c:\video\
    Let it do its thing.

If you ever need to restore, you pop in the restore CD and let WHS restore things from the server.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:53 PM

All replies

• You cannot set WHS to ignore specific file types (.AVIs), but you can tell it not to backup certain directories (c:\video\).

You just install the WHS connector, go into the WHS Console and configure backups not to backup c:\video\
    Let it do its thing.

If you ever need to restore, you pop in the restore CD and let WHS restore things from the server.
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 10:53 PM
  • So is the restore CD intellegent enough on a restore to a new disk so that it can find the appropiate NIC/Wireless card driver, figure out the network settings etc. and find the server or do you have to install a new image of XP/Vista on the drive, boot from that and then reconfigure and download everything. In other words does the CD suck down a drive image (like Acronis) or build files back up. Put another way for example to restore a new XP or Vista C disk do you need the origional XP/Vista disk.

Sunday, July 27, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Every backup, of every home PC joined to and backed up by your home server, includes a folder called "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" in the root of the system drive backup. You copy that to a flash drive, supply it at the appropriate time, and your NIC and storage drivers willb e loaded for the Restore CD. Note that restoring a computer over a wireless network connection is unsupported. Usually it fails because most wireless networks have some form of security, and the Restore CD isn't able to configure security. It may also fail if you have a wireless network that drops packets occasionally.
    Sunday, July 27, 2008 1:15 AM
  • It might be worthwhile have a read through the documentation available for WHS, here.

Colin

Sunday, July 27, 2008 3:05 PM