Unable to Authenticate RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to authenticate my site however its not working. I have an idea of what the problem is. I am using Blogger for my site (its a blog) and when I add the code into the meta it is changed slightly.

<meta content='CA02E8261AB2404A936F162CBEB4EC03' name='msvalidate.01'/>
    <meta name='msvalidate.01 content='CA02E8261AB2404A936F162CBEB4EC03'/>

The first one is the actual code the way it appears on my blog, the second one is what is should be. It turns out Blogger changes the code to put the name= at the end and it appears this causes it to fail. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:39 PM

Answers

• We have updated our site with a bug fix for this issue.   If you still are having problems can you let me know.  An alternate route would be to remove the site from the tool, then use the XML file for validation.

thanks

Jeremiah

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:25 PM
  •  PromoManagers.com wrote:

Hi Jeremiah,

Is validation a critical first step in this process?  IE, without validation users will get the "no data available" message in the control panel?

No.  We are working on improving the data from the index that we share with you.  The goal would be to get a more consistent measure of how well you are being indexed.

PromoManagers.com wrote:

Do we get a notification when validation is passed?

Thanks

I assume you are referring here to your sitemap?   No.  We don't currently send any validation notification.  I will consider it for future releases though.

Thanks

Jeremiah

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:28 PM
  • Ok...  I got an update on this guys and the fix for the META validation issue has not gone into production yet.   I am expecting it to go live over the weekend.  Can I ask for you to test it again on Monday? Please post here on this thread to let me know if your seeing the fix.   I want to ensure there isn't any other issues.

Thanks

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:39 AM
  •    

Hello,

We apologize for the validation issues you are currently having. Please understand that these tools are still in beta and we are working on a solution to the known issue. You may want to try the suggestions Jeremiah (and Rupesh for the blog issues) made earlier in the thread to see if they work to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:24 PM

All replies

• I am sorry to hear that you have been having this problem. There is a known bug with variations in the meta validation string.  We are addressing this and should have it corrected soon.

Cheers

Jeremiah

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Hi Jeremiah,

Is validation a critical first step in this process?  IE, without validation users will get the "no data available" message in the control panel?

Thanks

Sunday, November 25, 2007 6:00 AM
  • As an update this morning I have an authentication code published on the webmaster tools page and the site is apparently authenticated.  What I still don't have is any data, everything just says "No data available".

I can't understand this because prior to actually using the webmaster tools (and on the first load) this data was available.

Sunday, November 25, 2007 2:37 PM
  •  Jeremiah Andrick - Microsoft wrote:

I am sorry to hear that you have been having this problem. There is a known bug with variations in the meta validation string.  We are addressing this and should have it corrected soon.

Hi Jeremiah-

Any progress on having a fix for this?

Thanks...

Alex

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:59 PM
  • We have updated our site with a bug fix for this issue.   If you still are having problems can you let me know.  An alternate route would be to remove the site from the tool, then use the XML file for validation.

thanks

Jeremiah

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:25 PM
  •  PromoManagers.com wrote:

Hi Jeremiah,

No.  We are working on improving the data from the index that we share with you.  The goal would be to get a more consistent measure of how well you are being indexed.

PromoManagers.com wrote:

Thanks

I assume you are referring here to your sitemap?   No.  We don't currently send any validation notification.  I will consider it for future releases though.

Thanks

Jeremiah

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:28 PM

We have updated our site with a bug fix for this issue.   If you still are having problems can you let me know.  An alternate route would be to remove the site from the tool, then use the XML file for validation.

thanks

Jeremiah

Hi Jeremiah-

I just tried it again. It is still not working. Unfortunately Blogger will not let me upload an XML file that is why the I need this option.

Not sure if it helps my site is http://notebook.alejandro-rodriguez.com/

Let me know if you have another sugestion, I apreciate your help.

Thanks...

Alex

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:46 PM
  • Hello,

I am also having the same problem. I think the fix is not still working. Please help

Varughese Rajan
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:12 AM
  •  

Im having the same problem too. Blogs hosted in Blogger.com dont authenticate...

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:30 PM
  • Good I was starting to think it was just me.
    Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Ok...  I got an update on this guys and the fix for the META validation issue has not gone into production yet.   I am expecting it to go live over the weekend.  Can I ask for you to test it again on Monday? Please post here on this thread to let me know if your seeing the fix.   I want to ensure there isn't any other issues.

Thanks

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:39 AM

Ok...  I got an update on this guys and the fix for the META validation issue has not gone into production yet.   I am expecting it to go live over the weekend.  Can I ask for you to test it again on Monday? Please post here on this thread to let me know if your seeing the fix.   I want to ensure there isn't any other issues.

Thanks

Thanks man will do that on Monday...

Varughese Rajan
    Friday, November 30, 2007 4:42 AM

• Code Block

Replace " with &quot; < with &lt; and > with &gt; to solve the problem
    i.e.

&lt;meta name=&quot;msvalidate.01&quot; content=&quot;CA02E8261AB2404A936F162CBEB4EC03&quot;/&gt;

for sitemap submit:- http://yourblogname.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Rupesh
    http://funduBytes.blogspot.com

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:51 PM
  • I too have been unable to verify my site.  Ironic that the desire to participate in the program is to address these sorts of "issues" that plague Live Search and these very problems keep us from participating.  What could be more simple than placing a meta validation in <head> and having a robot find it.  If microsoft can't create a functional robot to read a meta validation how can it ever be directed to anything like a sitemap, etc. through meta data?  Never thought I would say it but I'm loosing the faith.           

bb   

Friday, November 30, 2007 4:33 PM

Ok...  I got an update on this guys and the fix for the META validation issue has not gone into production yet.   I am expecting it to go live over the weekend.  Can I ask for you to test it again on Monday? Please post here on this thread to let me know if your seeing the fix.   I want to ensure there isn't any other issues.

Thanks

Ok, that worked. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:14 PM
  • Is my English so poor that you people cannot understand what I said before... still asking for solution?
    or
    You are waiting for someone big like Techcrunch .etc. to tell you the solution.
    Infact, this is not a problem at all. Blogger uses XML parsed code.

e.g.

Code Block

<meta content='CA02E8261AB2404A936F162CBEB4EC03' name='msvalidate.01'/>

changes to

Code Block

<meta name='msvalidate.01 content='CA02E8261AB2404A936F162CBEB4EC03'/>

& thus verification error. To solve just replace,

Code Block

" with &quot;

< with &lt; and

> with &gt;

i.e.

Code Block

&lt;meta name=&quot;msvalidate.01&quot; content=&quot;CA02E8261AB2404A936F162CBEB4EC03&quot;/&gt;

for sitemap submit:- http://yourblogname.blogspot.com/atom.xml
    For more details:-  http://fundubytes.blogspot.com/2007/11/verify-your-blog-for-live-search.html

Still if you people cannot understand the solution then pity on you!

Even I contacted
    Jeremiah Andrick - Program Manager, Microsoft to spread these words, but didn't get any positive response. Sorry to say, but that's why there is Sabeer Bahtia!

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:48 AM
  • I'm also getting a failure to authenticate message, I can only think it's a formatting issue.  Live is asking for:

<meta name="msvalidate.01" content="4CE0A75A63CD4914A49F6B0070579420" />

and we have:

<META name="msvalidate.01" content="4CE0A75A63CD4914A49F6B0070579420">

Would the formatting of meta vs. META have any effect?  Or is this likely to be the 'malformed' HTML, i.e. the tag isn't officially closed.

To be honest, I'm surprised the Live validator is quite so picky...

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 10:05 AM
  • more than 20 days for fix a very very simple bug??
    OMG, its a XP developer Team?

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Thanks Man
    It Realy works
    Monday, December 17, 2007 6:40 AM
  • Hello!

Unfortunately I am still having this problem, I am unable to authenticate my Blogger's blog.

Good luck to you guys with solving the issue
    Monday, January 7, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  

We have a similar problem:

MSN gave us this:

<meta name="msvalidate.01" content="13FDCE444DC141ABB7FE90C339F12A3B" />

But our site rewrites to this:
    <meta name="msvalidate.01" content="13FDCE444DC141ABB7FE90C339F12A3B">

All we are missing is the forward slash and a space and MSN is unable to authenticate.... Can we say overly strict?

Come on Microsoft, all your systems need to be checking is name and content values... why is it checking for a space and a slash? Help a fellow Redmond neighbor out!

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:12 PM
  •  

I've got the forward slash and space in my meta name and it still doesn't work so I don't think that is the source of the issue. 

Tuesday, March 25, 2008 9:07 AM
  •    

Hello,

We apologize for the validation issues you are currently having. Please understand that these tools are still in beta and we are working on a solution to the known issue. You may want to try the suggestions Jeremiah (and Rupesh for the blog issues) made earlier in the thread to see if they work to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:24 PM
  • The output of the W3C Markup Validator (http://validator.w3.org) for your META Tag:

NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES

Code Block
    <meta name="msvalidate.01" content="7C853BFB10F44E1483BA0BBE6FB97154" />

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways, depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HMTL 4.01 Strict, the '/' terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HMTL 4.01 Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.

My comment: Without this forward slash and a space, MSN is unable to authenticate. Please find a solution for this problem!

Monday, May 5, 2008 9:40 PM