Is it possible to simply "switch off" edge servers safely? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Although it seems a stupid thing to do:  can you switch off an edge server (for a long time)  without affecting the internal OCS functions?

We have an OCS standard setup with Mediation Server and a gateway that completely replaced our old PBX.  We use OCS as our single telephony platform.

I would like to add an edge server to our production setup as a proof-of-concept and extended test for a limited amount of users.  If we decide to actually buy the OCS license required for the edge server (including certificate and federation licenses), I would keep the setup running. 

We could decide against this expenditure for now, but while leaving the option open for the future when the need to have federation increases.  In that case I would like to switch off the server, but keep the config for later use.  When we actually decide to go for federation, I could simply boot the edge server again.

Is this supported?  Would I see errors or problems for our normal internal OCS functions?

Best Regards

Wim

Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:43 PM

All replies

• All your clients will probably see this warning in the communicator

This warning will also be visible on the tray icon with a little traingle warning the users for connectivity problems

"Some calls to and from people outside of your corporate netwrok may not connect due to server connectivity probklems"

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Thanks for the information!

So it is not really a problem, but not nice for the users, who might be alarmed and stop calling.  If we install the edge servers we will have to keep them...

Thanks again,

Best Regards

Wim

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:12 AM
  • Or remove the server completely from the OCS environment

Thursday, June 12, 2008 3:25 PM
  • Can the component that produces this error

"Some calls to and from people outside of your corporate netwrok may not connect due to server connectivity probklems"

be turned off on the client, we do not run an edge server?

Monday, June 15, 2009 4:06 AM
  • You can remove Edge without problems... but you need to remove all the Edge Configurations from your pool. For example, Edge for Mediation Server, Federation Server, PIC... everything. If you "switch off" your Edge and remove all the configurations, your clients doesn't have any kind of error or alert.

Regards,

Emerson Moraes
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 12:57 PM