Shared folders - incorrect used space RRS feed

• Question

• Before i submit a bug report on connect just wanted to check to see if others are seeing this behavour for the issues outlined below

Issue 1

When i initially setup v2 all the standard shared folders we showing 0.1g used - bit odd i thought but did not give it much thought

After i had run one backup (client PC) this increased to 0.3g for all shared folders (the Network Computer Backup folder showed 20+g as expected)

I ran another client PC backup and the used space went to 0.6g for the shared drives

Ran a server backup and they now show 0.9g

Created a new shared folder and this showed 0.1g used

Now i have not put any files in any of the shared folders - they are empty - did check the hidden files and as you would expect recycle bin and sys vol info show up

Only have two disks - server backup disk and the system/pool disk - so no duplication

Issue 2

checked in explorer and all the shared folders show the same size and usage - for me this is 172g free of 173g - possibly the 0.9g from above?

the exception is the network computer backup "drive" which shows 170g free of 193g - in the dashboard it shows 170g free out of 211g for the sys drive - which is all a bit confusing - although i suspect its just something to tidy up to get consistent free space reported

probably would not have noticed if i had put data onto the pool :)

2 home servers plus vail test server 10tb storage combined
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:40 PM

Answers

• I think you should submit bug reports on Connect . That said, I kind of expect these items to come back as "by design" and/or "won't fix", because (as with V1) remote desktop (or any desktop access) to the server is technically unsupported and therefore nothing you see in Windows Explorer from the desktop is guaranteed to be as one would expect in standard Windows.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tim Norton Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:20 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:56 PM

All replies

• I think you should submit bug reports on Connect . That said, I kind of expect these items to come back as "by design" and/or "won't fix", because (as with V1) remote desktop (or any desktop access) to the server is technically unsupported and therefore nothing you see in Windows Explorer from the desktop is guaranteed to be as one would expect in standard Windows.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Tim Norton Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:20 PM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:56 PM
  • Ken

yep not so bothered about issue 2 as i called it but issue 1 is what the dashboard is reporting

just checked in explorer from a client machine (mapped drive) and the 172g free of 173g is reported the same

have just deleted a zero byte file i created in one of the shared folders and it has now reduced its used size from 0.9g to 0.6g - getting very odd

will submit a bug report to connect

Cheers

Tim

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:06 PM
  • Have submitted a bug report to connect

if people are interested the link is as follows

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/554962/shared-folders-incorrect-used-space

Cheers

Tim

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:19 PM
  • The new logic to prevent\repair silent storage errors adds a 12% overhead for disk usage.    Not sure if this is why your numbers aren't adding up.

I have 1 folder with data in it that equals 8.3GB (duplication enabled) otherwise the server is a default configuration, yet it states that 28GB are being used for duplication.

8.3 x 2 = 16.4.      Where that other 11.6GB is coming from is anybodies guess.  

I opened a connect issue on this just in case it is a problem

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/554604/server-duplication-info-incorrect

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 9:28 PM