none
Use Powershell to set full-bleed (unplated) icon on Windows 10 start menu -- and ideally Large or Wide tile? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a Powershell script that changes the icon on a shortcut. The goal is to have a large icon. It works as expected when the shortcut is on the desktop ("A" in the screenshot). But when the shortcut is in the Start Menu, I can't get the icon to be large ("B" in screenshot). The tile is resized to Medium (max). I believe it's in "plated" style. 

Can a PowerShell script (or Batch etc) be used to:

1. Change a shortcut's icon and set parameters to full-bleed/"unplated" in the tile in the Start menu? 
    2. Even better, make the tile appear in one of the larger/wider styles? The tile is currently maxed at Medium. Can a script set the tile to be a Large or Wide tile?

Would appreciate any help! More details are below.

Chad

What I've tried

I've used the program TileIconifier to make the shortcut icon appear unplated, as desired, in the Start Menu. So I know this is possible in theory. But instead of a manual one-off, I need to change the icon programmatically.

I've tried adding icons to the .ico file that are 310 square, 256 square, etc.

I've read that exporting and importing the Start Menu layout to XML can let you change parameters with PowerShell. But I would only want to change the parameters of this one shortcut, not the other pins a user may have on their Start Menu. 

PowerShell script

$IconLocation = "C:\Users\...\CDEicon.ico"
    $ShortcutLocation = "C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\shortcut.lnk"
    $TargetPath = "C:\Users\...\Change_icon-test.bat" 

$Shell = New-Object -ComObject ("WScript.Shell")
    $Shortcut = $Shell.CreateShortcut($ShortcutLocation)
    $Shortcut.IconLocation = "$IconLocation, 0"
    $Shortcut.TargetPath = $TargetPath
    $Shortcut.Save()

• Moved by Hart Wang Friday, January 19, 2018 1:27 AM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2:14 PM

All replies

• Sorry I can't post the screenshot I referenced yet. MSDN is verifying my new account before I can post images. 
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 2:20 PM
  • Hi Chad Parmet,

Thank you for posting here.

I have found some solution to make the tile larger by using power shell, you could try it.

Building Forms with PowerShell – Part 1 (The Form)

Programmatically Adding Windows Start Tiles

According to your description, the issue seems to be power shell issue, you could post the issue on power shell forum.

The current forum just discuss general issues about developing applications on desktop.

Best Regards,

Hart

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Hart Wang Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:20 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 1:59 AM