Move from EVAL WHS w/ PP1 Beta to licensed version RRS feed

• Question

• My main issue here is moving from the eval version of WHS, onto which I've put PP1 beta, to a licensed version.  Do I just need to put in the licensed CD and reinstall, then add the PP1 beta software back on, followed by my add-ins?  Or do I need to remove the PP1 beta first?

On a related note, I installed my eval on 2/1.  I never saw any warnings my eval was expiring!  I've started to notice the server doing a hard shutdown every two hours, and my search turned up "expired eval" as a cause.  Let me express shock that a fairly new product with a history of data corruption should be allowed to simply switch itself OFF when an eval expires!  I've had the licensed version for some time now, but I was holding off on the reinstall for the release code of PP1.  I *thought* I would get warnings that my eval period was expiring, but turns out I was just getting crashes and reboots, which I wasn't really noticing as I put my server in a closet.  This behavior MUST be fixed!!

Thanks

(Edit:  I just checked and I see my eval copy supposedly expires 7/30/2008!  But my server is crashing/rebooting every 2 hours since 6/1/2008.  Hmm.  Four months between eval install and 2 hour reboots?  Coincidence?)
    Sunday, June 29, 2008 4:01 PM

Answers

• The eval copy is for 120 days from install. It mentions the time-scale in numerous places. It is an evaluation version, so it is just providing enough time for you to evaluate, not to try and run for ever  Also, I'm not sure what connection you see between the corruption bug and the expiration, there isn't any connection. Also, the PP1, although beta, appears to have fixed that particular problem for the few people who experienced it.

To install the OEM version, I would uninstall the PP1 through the Add-Remove applet, (ensure that the 'show updates' box is checked,) then do a server Re-Install and then, as you say, re-add your Clients, any Add-Ins you use and PP1 again.

All your data should be just fine, the only point might be the amount of time it takes to finish, because if you have large amounts of data stored, the rebuilding could make you think nothing is happening.

Good luck,

Colin

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  RiskyBiz wrote:

Another question I have, once PP1 is released, is when will the WHS OEM versions start shipping with the PP1 included? Or will I need to purchase the WHS OEM and then download the PP1 separately? I would prefer to purchase WHS OEM with the PP1 included.

Power Pack 1 will be available as a Windows Update to existing Windows Home Server owners.

New media kits that include the Power Pack 1 fixes will be available ~6-8 weeks after Power Pack 1 RTMs (is Released to Manufacturing).  The ISO image of the new Restore CD will be made available via the Microsoft Download Center to existing customers.

Monday, June 30, 2008 6:02 PM

All replies

• The eval copy is for 120 days from install. It mentions the time-scale in numerous places. It is an evaluation version, so it is just providing enough time for you to evaluate, not to try and run for ever  Also, I'm not sure what connection you see between the corruption bug and the expiration, there isn't any connection. Also, the PP1, although beta, appears to have fixed that particular problem for the few people who experienced it.

To install the OEM version, I would uninstall the PP1 through the Add-Remove applet, (ensure that the 'show updates' box is checked,) then do a server Re-Install and then, as you say, re-add your Clients, any Add-Ins you use and PP1 again.

All your data should be just fine, the only point might be the amount of time it takes to finish, because if you have large amounts of data stored, the rebuilding could make you think nothing is happening.

Good luck,

Colin

Sunday, June 29, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

The eval copy is for 120 days from install. It mentions the time-scale in numerous places. It is an evaluation version, so it is just providing enough time for you to evaluate, not to try and run for ever  Also, I'm not sure what connection you see between the corruption bug and the expiration, there isn't any connection. Also, the PP1, although beta, appears to have fixed that particular problem for the few people who experienced it.

Good luck,

Colin

Why uninstall PP1 beta? My understanding is that the server reinstall will reformat the c: partition before reinstalling WHS, so uninstalling PP1 beta would be kind of a waste of time.

I also have a question about the PP1 beta expiration. I too was running the WHS Evaluation version which expired on June 9 after the expected 120 days (although Winver and WHS console reported different expiration dates, Winver being correct). I then installed the PP1 beta ISO performing a server reinstall over the WHS Eval. Now, the PP1 beta expiration (via both WHS console and Winver) is given as December 9, 2008, which would be 180 days (6 months). Is 180 days the correct evaluation period for the PP1 beta?

Another question I have, once PP1 is released, is when will the WHS OEM versions start shipping with the PP1 included? Or will I need to purchase the WHS OEM and then download the PP1 separately? I would prefer to purchase WHS OEM with the PP1 included.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:32 PM
  •  RiskyBiz wrote:
    Why uninstall PP1 beta? My understanding is that the server reinstall will reformat the c: partition before reinstalling WHS, so uninstalling PP1 beta would be kind of a waste of time.

I also have a question about the PP1 beta expiration. I too was running the WHS Evaluation version which expired on June 9 after the expected 120 days (although Winver and WHS console reported different expiration dates, Winver being correct). I then installed the PP1 beta ISO performing a server reinstall over the WHS Eval. Now, the PP1 beta expiration (via both WHS console and Winver) is given as December 9, 2008, which would be 180 days (6 months). Is 180 days the correct evaluation period for the PP1 beta?

Nope, it's still 120.

RiskyBiz wrote:
    Another question I have, once PP1 is released, is when will the WHS OEM versions start shipping with the PP1 included?

This is only a guess (based on how long it took Vista with SP1 to show up at my local Fry's), but I would say 3-4 weeks.

RiskyBiz wrote:
    Or will I need to purchase the WHS OEM and then download the PP1 separately?

You can do it that way.  Although MS hasn't said anything official about a new media refresh (with PP1 integrated), I would guess that would happen as well.

RiskyBiz wrote:
    I would prefer to purchase WHS OEM with the PP1 included.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 9:21 PM
  •  RiskyBiz wrote:

Power Pack 1 will be available as a Windows Update to existing Windows Home Server owners.

New media kits that include the Power Pack 1 fixes will be available ~6-8 weeks after Power Pack 1 RTMs (is Released to Manufacturing).  The ISO image of the new Restore CD will be made available via the Microsoft Download Center to existing customers.

Monday, June 30, 2008 6:02 PM