XP (WGA) Key fails activation when installed in new laptop RRS feed

• Question

• My problem scenario is like this.

1. I had a desktop PC
    2. I bought a WGA Kti for Win XP (shipped from singapore MS)
    3. I used it in the Desktop for few months.
    4. I sold the desktop few days back.
    5. Got a new Lenovo laptop without any OEM OS
    6. Installed the XP I had already purchased.
    7. Tried to activate the windows, where in, I got response "According to our records the number of times you can activate windows with this product key has been exceeded. Please enter a different product key and click enter"

How do I activate my XP on my new machine?

Thanks in advance
    Guru
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:35 AM

Answers

• If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:46 AM
  • Thanks Mr. Frisch for the prompt response, but the toll-free number and the toll number given for 'India' is invalid, when I dial them it says invalid numbers, can you tell me where I can get the correct contact numbers?

Thanks in advance

Guru

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:54 AM
  •  

Fx,

Please try the following site:  http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx.  Here you should be able to find your number for India.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:06 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the link, but even the numbers provided inthe link (91 11 2629-2640 or 1800 1111 00 or 000800 650-1122) aint working.

some how managed to get the new number which is 91 80 40103000.

I got mine activated in a span of 2 minutes.

Thanks all for the response.

Regards

Guru

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:58 PM
  • FX,

Thank you for the feedback and am glad you are up and running again.  Please tell me what happened when you called the number from the URL I provided.  Second how and where did you get the new number so I can work on this. 

Thank you,

STephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:00 AM
  • Hi Stephen

When I called those numbers from my mobile phone, I got the response as "Number not in use".

I got the new number from the URL http://www.microsoft.com/india/originalsoftware/

But it seems 1800 111100 is working (from a specific telecom operator) the others do not work.

Regards

Guru

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:23 PM

All replies

• If you cannot successfully activate via the internet, then choose the alternative option to "activate by phone".

How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click 'Start', point to 'All Programs', point to 'Accessories', point to 'System Tools', and then click 'Activate Windows'.
      Or,
    click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area (aka system Tray).
      Or,
    clicking Start button, then Run, and type in "oobe/msoobe /a", then press the Enter key located on your keyboard.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.  

3. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

4. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
     "You have successfully activated your copy of Windows". 

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:46 AM
  • Thanks Mr. Frisch for the prompt response, but the toll-free number and the toll number given for 'India' is invalid, when I dial them it says invalid numbers, can you tell me where I can get the correct contact numbers?

Thanks in advance

Guru

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 3:54 AM
  •  

Fx,

Please try the following site:  http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/vol/numbers.mspx.  Here you should be able to find your number for India.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:06 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the link, but even the numbers provided inthe link (91 11 2629-2640 or 1800 1111 00 or 000800 650-1122) aint working.

some how managed to get the new number which is 91 80 40103000.

I got mine activated in a span of 2 minutes.

Thanks all for the response.

Regards

Guru

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:58 PM
  • FX,

Thank you for the feedback and am glad you are up and running again.  Please tell me what happened when you called the number from the URL I provided.  Second how and where did you get the new number so I can work on this. 

Thank you,

STephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:00 AM
  • Hi Stephen

When I called those numbers from my mobile phone, I got the response as "Number not in use".

I got the new number from the URL http://www.microsoft.com/india/originalsoftware/

But it seems 1800 111100 is working (from a specific telecom operator) the others do not work.

Regards

Guru

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:23 PM