Clarification of Licensing for Test CRM environments RRS feed

• Question

• The existing thread on this question is ambiguous to me. Our client wants to set up a test server internally for CRM 2011. They have the Production Server running now for years. Do they need to purchase another on-premise CRM Server license just to do testing. This system will never be deployed as a production system. It makes no sense for Microsoft to enforce this, because any major implementation of CRM first needs to be done in a test environment; then it should be repeated in QA, and finally deployed. That would require companies to pay 3 times for CRM.

Sincerely,

Steve Simon
    PDG Consultants

Steve Simon PDG Consultants

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:55 PM

Answers

• Hi Steve,

I'm not saying that they need to purchase MSDN licenses specially for testing - more that there should already be MSDN licensing in place if they have developers working on a development server.

If no MSDN licensing exists, there must be a separate license for each server - but a user CAL can be used for all servers. Dynamics Online now offers additional instances which is much more cost effective. For config only solutions (no code deployment) they could always create multiple instances on the same server for your test instances, which would not need separate licensing.

Read more here - http://crmdynamics.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Pricing_Licensing_Guide.pdf

hth

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:45 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Steve,

For OnPrem test deployments, the usual licensing model is via MSDN - with each MSDN license, you can have 10 tester licenses to access your test/training instance of CRM. 

For training - the usual approach is to use the production server and add a new organisation, this would not require any additional licenses.

hth

Scott Durow
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:26 PM
    Answerer
  • Scott,

Thanks for your quick reply.

1) Are you saying that the customer has to purchase MSDN and then use that CRM server license with up to 10 testers?

2) I just need clarification from Microsoft on what their policy is. I have seen corporations purchase one server license and use it in a test and production environment. As long as they paid MS for the Server and ALL the users in the production environment, Microsoft was happy.

Sincerely,

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:26 PM
  • Hi Steve,

I'm not saying that they need to purchase MSDN licenses specially for testing - more that there should already be MSDN licensing in place if they have developers working on a development server.

If no MSDN licensing exists, there must be a separate license for each server - but a user CAL can be used for all servers. Dynamics Online now offers additional instances which is much more cost effective. For config only solutions (no code deployment) they could always create multiple instances on the same server for your test instances, which would not need separate licensing.

Read more here - http://crmdynamics.blob.core.windows.net/docs/Pricing_Licensing_Guide.pdf

hth

Scott Durow

Thursday, April 11, 2013 10:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Scott,

Your comments, plus the link to the Pricing and Licensing guide provided all the information I needed to know. Ultimately, there are no free servers from Microsoft, except the trial licenses. I assume our client has an Enterprise Agreement, so they will use what they use and MS will tally the bill at the end of the year.

Sincerely,

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:31 PM