Cannot access account after cloning hdd, I get a msg that a temp profile has been created RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Win 7 Pro SP1 onto my 250GB SATA HDD about 3 weeks ago.  I then decided I wanted to use RAID 10.  I installed the RAID 10 with 4 500GB HDD with no issues,  I booted up Win 7 Pro from my 250GB drive to install the drivers for the RAID controller.  Works great and I can see the controller and drive.  I then rebooted and used Acronis to clone my 250GB drive to the new RAID drive.  It completed with no errors or warnings.  I shutdown and remove the 250 GB hdd, it boots up and I enter my password and I get a message that a temp profile was created.  I could not run most of my apps and most of the Windows Utilities did not work.  I did manage to get Task manager to run and I tried to launch the utilities that way, but was not successful.  I was not able to open explorer but I was able to browse the contents of my hard drive from Task managers browse button to launch an app.  It was then I noticed that the Drive Letter was D: and not C: for the primary drive.  I know that this is the problem and I don't understand why Acronis did not make the drive C: like it said it did when it completed the cloning.

Speculate that because I booted up the 250GB hard drive so I could install the RAID controller drivers, it retained the drive letter C: on the 250GB HDD and the RAID drive D:.

So how do I get the drive letters swapped so the RAID drive has the letter C: designated.  BTW Disk Manager and other partitioning software sees the partition as Healthy, and it's has the system OS present and other designations which one would conclude it's a working active primary partition.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:09 AM

Answers

• I decided to re-install the Operating System.  I want to thank those who provided help, my decision was based upon searches and solution that did not resolve the problem.

Ryker1

• Marked as answer by ryker1 Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:43 AM
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:43 AM

All replies

• "ryker1" wrote in message news:d79bfdab-1263-4726-a132-32a91373933e...
    I installed Win 7 Pro SP1 onto my 250GB SATA HDD about 3 weeks ago.  I then decided I wanted to use RAID 10.  I installed the RAID 10 with 4 500GB HDD with no issues,  I booted up Win 7 Pro from my 250GB drive to install the drivers for the RAID controller.  Works great and I can see the controller and drive.  I then rebooted and used Acronis to clone my 250GB drive to the new RAID drive.  It completed with no errors or warnings.  I shutdown and remove the 250 GB hdd, it boots up and I enter my password and I get a message that a temp profile was created.  I could not run most of my apps and most of the Windows Utilities did not work.  I did manage to get Task manager to run and I tried to launch the utilities that way, but was not successful.  I was not able to open explorer but I was able to browse the contents of my hard drive from Task managers browse button to launch an app.  It was then I noticed that the Drive Letter was D: and not C: for the primary drive.  I know that this is the problem and I don't understand why Acronis did not make the drive C: like it said it did when it completed the cloning.

Speculate that because I booted up the 250GB hard drive so I could install the RAID controller drivers, it retained the drive letter C: on the 250GB HDD and the RAID drive D:.

So how do I get the drive letters swapped so the RAID drive has the letter C: designated.  BTW Disk Manager and other partitioning software sees the partition as Healthy, and it's has the system OS present and other designations which one would conclude it's a working active primary partition.

Have you removed the original drive?
    It's almost certainly because of the way Windows enumerates drives.
    You should set the BIOS to boot from the RAID, rather than the old HD.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 5:59 AM
  • "Noel D Paton" wrote in message news:4593b995-e2c4-4a23-bc33-1ecf212275c2...

--

Sorry - meant to add....
    You should try asking this question in the Win 7 Answers forums here.....

--

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:58 AM
  • "ryker1" wrote in message news:d79bfdab-1263-4726-a132-32a91373933e...
    I installed Win 7 Pro SP1 onto my 250GB SATA HDD about 3 weeks ago.  I then decided I wanted to use RAID 10.  I installed the RAID 10 with 4 500GB HDD with no issues,  I booted up Win 7 Pro from my 250GB drive to install the drivers for the RAID controller.  Works great and I can see the controller and drive.  I then rebooted and used Acronis to clone my 250GB drive to the new RAID drive.  It completed with no errors or warnings.  I shutdown and remove the 250 GB hdd, it boots up and I enter my password and I get a message that a temp profile was created.  I could not run most of my apps and most of the Windows Utilities did not work.  I did manage to get Task manager to run and I tried to launch the utilities that way, but was not successful.  I was not able to open explorer but I was able to browse the contents of my hard drive from Task managers browse button to launch an app.  It was then I noticed that the Drive Letter was D: and not C: for the primary drive.  I know that this is the problem and I don't understand why Acronis did not make the drive C: like it said it did when it completed the cloning.

--

Yes, I did as I mentioned above it boots up and I log on and I get a message that a temp profile was created due to a problem with the original profile.  I was thinking that I could use the repair disk and open a command prompt and use either diskpart or Bootrec to try to change the drive letters, I'm not sure if this will work though.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my issue.

ryker1

Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:09 PM
  • "Noel D Paton" wrote in message news:4593b995-e2c4-4a23-bc33-1ecf212275c2...

--

Sorry - meant to add....
    You should try asking this question in the Win 7 Answers forums here.....

--

The Raid controller is designated as the primary boot option in the BIOS.  It does boot up I just can't get windows to enumerate the drive as drive C:. It shows up as Drive D: and almost nothing will open up other than Task Manager which still does not help, because nothing will load or open without an error.  Thats when I discoverd the drive enumaeration did not take affect at boot up like I seen it do in the past on many other cloning I've done with hard drives.

I may have to re-install the operating system to a clean drive to fix the problem.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:26 PM
  • I decided to re-install the Operating System.  I want to thank those who provided help, my decision was based upon searches and solution that did not resolve the problem.

Ryker1

• Marked as answer by ryker1 Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:43 AM
    Saturday, May 14, 2011 12:43 AM
  • In case anyone else runs into the same problem, where your C: drive for any reason becomes D:, and windows cannot run any program or configuration utility, the solution is to boot from repair disc (or preferably use the Repair option from the boot menu), go to repair options, run Command Prompt, type regedit, press enter. The registry settings shown are not from your windows installation, so in order to access them you have to click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, File->Load Hive, browse for C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file, load it, the key name is not important, I used "Hive". Now when you open the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE tree, you should see Hive branch listed among the options, open it, go to SYSTEM/MountedDevices, delete \DosDevices\C: key, rename \DosDevices\D: to \DosDevices\C:, restart. This should do the job.
    • Edited by SnoopyNB Friday, October 26, 2012 5:39 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:37 PM