Swapping Backup Drives - Synctoy batch job fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I use synctoy command line mode via a batch file to backup to a USB HD. I have two identical drives that I use for backups.

Once a week, I swap the drives - one goes to a saftey deposit box, the one in the box gets connected.

Every time I swap drives, Synctoy claims to have never syncronized the folder pairs, and I have to manually run the program from the GUI once, before the batch job will start working again. This is time-consuming and cumbersome ... is there a way to work around this?

Thanks!

Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:05 PM

All replies

• A workaround that should work would be to create two different folder pairs with one each for the two backup drives that you have.

Thanks

Deepa

Saturday, July 12, 2008 12:37 AM

• Hi,

I'm not sure I understand how I would do that. Both backup drives have the same drive letter, and both are identical. So, both pairs would be identical too. Yet every time I swap, I get the error.

Could it be that they have different volume names?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:43 PM
  • Hi -

The error is because we realize that the two drives are different. So I am sorry there is no way you can use this on a scheduled sync. You are either going to have to find a way to give both the drives a seperate drive letter and create seperate folder pairs or do a manual sync each time.

Thanks

Deepa

Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:55 PM