What drive is failing? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home built server. And in recent time i get alot of ntfs errors in the log and i have noticed alot of my files are not showing in my share.
    There are 5 disks in the pool but it says all is fine, but i dont agree.

Event Log
    "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume D:."

How do i know what drive that is failing?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:22 PM

Answers

• Volume D: is the worst which could fail, it is the DATA partition on the primary disk (which is usually connected to the first SATA/IDE port).
    To run check disk on it open a command prompt while logged on to the server and execute
    chkdsk /x /r D:
    If you prefer to do this offline, you can also boot from a Vista DVD and use the command prompt in the System Repair options to run chkdksk. This version is also more robust than that in Windows Server 2003/WHS.
    If this volume cannot be repaired, you can try to replace that disk totally and perform a server reinstall.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tagnard Friday, December 26, 2008 8:26 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:31 PM

All replies

• Volume D: is the worst which could fail, it is the DATA partition on the primary disk (which is usually connected to the first SATA/IDE port).
    To run check disk on it open a command prompt while logged on to the server and execute
    chkdsk /x /r D:
    If you prefer to do this offline, you can also boot from a Vista DVD and use the command prompt in the System Repair options to run chkdksk. This version is also more robust than that in Windows Server 2003/WHS.
    If this volume cannot be repaired, you can try to replace that disk totally and perform a server reinstall.
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Sunday, December 21, 2008 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tagnard Friday, December 26, 2008 8:26 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:31 PM
  • i found that command and i am running it right now.

If i have a replacement drive. what is the best method of replacing the failing drive?
    Monday, December 15, 2008 11:38 PM
  • The best method to replace the failing primary drive: 
     Disconnect the old drive and attach the new one in the same place.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 5:04 AM