none
DHCP address reservation RRS feed

• Question

• I wonder if somebody could clear something up for me.  I have only had my WHS operating for a few days.  I have a Netgear Router that I have always used to reserver IP address for the different devices on my network(Computers, IPod Touch, Media devices, XBox360, Wii).  When I added the WHS server I also reserved an IP address for it.  Is that how most of you do it?  Also, does it matter to WHS if the other computers are in a different workgroup.
    The reason I am asking the above question is because lately I have been having a few network problems.  IPods not able to connect to the network.  Computers not getting internet access, only local access.  Computers not using the IP address assigned to it.  Not sure if its due to my setup or my router is starting to go.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:35 PM

Answers

• Computer backups will still work if you turn off your router's UPnP features. If you give your server a static IP address (or reserve an IP address for it with your DHCP server) you can manually forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to your server and the Remote Access web site will still work. You'll also have to set your server to not automaticlaly configure your router, or it will report a problem (since your router will have UPnP turned off).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:47 PM

All replies

• You can use a DHCP reservation, but (assuming your router fully supports UPnP configuration) you don't have to use it, as you server can reconfigure the router in the unlikely event it loses it's IP address lease.
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 8:49 PM
  • Does WHS include a DHCP server?  How could the server reconfigure the router?   I read some old posts about some add-on.  My Netgear router does support UPnP.  WHS filled in some Port Table on that screen on my router when I enabled remote access.   Also is it ok to have my other computers in a different workgroup?  Also whats the deal with the passwords being the same on the client and server?  I don't password my client computers. 
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Windows Home Server doesn't include a pre-configured DHCP server. As for reconfiguring the router, WHS can do so "if your router fully supports UPnP configuration".

It doesn't matter what workgroup your server is in; the shares, the console, and the Remote Access web site will still be accessible, and backups will still work. The only advantage to having your server in the same workgroup is that you'll see it there when you browse your network, instead of having to navigate to another workgroup.

The "deal" with the passwords is that every user should have a password, even if it's your child and he/she has their name as their password. On the server, you need a strong password to be able to use the Remote Access web site, for example. Windows Home Server can synchronize the passwords for an account between the server and a client, if you so choose; it will prompt you when the passwords differ. If you don't want to use a password on your client PCs, you can still access the server shares, but you will be asked to authenticate when you do so if the user on the server has a password.

Thursday, May 7, 2009 4:43 PM
  • Ken,
    If I turn off the UPnP feature on my router would the only effect be that I would not be able to use the remote access feature.  The computer backups would still work.  I was just asking because of the problems I have been having with internet access.  It seems to happening a few times a day.  I will be working at a computer and all of a sudden I lose internet access.  I have to pull the plug on my router & cable modem to get it working again. 
    Thursday, May 7, 2009 11:03 PM
  • Computer backups will still work if you turn off your router's UPnP features. If you give your server a static IP address (or reserve an IP address for it with your DHCP server) you can manually forward ports 80, 443, and 4125 to your server and the Remote Access web site will still work. You'll also have to set your server to not automaticlaly configure your router, or it will report a problem (since your router will have UPnP turned off).
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:47 PM