Missing default pages (WHS website) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I had a default homeserver page (a page with a picture and a login button that let me use remote desktop through the web browser), but I accidentally deleted it. It was Default.aspx, and probably Default.aspx.cs or something like that.

Is there anybody out there who has these files, or knows where I can find them again?
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 8:48 PM

Answers

• The supported way to get them back is to perform a server reinstallation/recovery, followed by updating your server to current patch and Power Pack levels.

Unsupported alternatives: One is to install Windows Home Server on some other computer (possibly in a virtual machine), but don't activate it. Then you can copy the files that you need. It's also possible to reinstall the web sites.

Using an unsupported method runs a risk of causing problems with your server; the second one I've proposed is riskier than the first. The risk in this case is probably limited to the possibility of needing to perform a server reinstallation/recovery to get our remote access web site working arain.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by k4ke Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:38 PM

All replies

• The supported way to get them back is to perform a server reinstallation/recovery, followed by updating your server to current patch and Power Pack levels.

Unsupported alternatives: One is to install Windows Home Server on some other computer (possibly in a virtual machine), but don't activate it. Then you can copy the files that you need. It's also possible to reinstall the web sites.

Using an unsupported method runs a risk of causing problems with your server; the second one I've proposed is riskier than the first. The risk in this case is probably limited to the possibility of needing to perform a server reinstallation/recovery to get our remote access web site working arain.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by k4ke Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:36 AM
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Thought of both alternatives. The last one is the only option for me right now. The only thing I use on the homepage is the "log on" button. I did find the link the l"og on" button produces in my browser history, and just made my own homepage. Works great. Maybe I'll get the homepage files restored when more functionality is added to it.

Thanks for now
    Wednesday, November 11, 2009 9:19 AM
  • Realise this is an old thread, but my websites also went to ____ - im guessing the cause was a program with a webcomponent interfered, and the public site, i.e not the intraweb site went missing.

Anyhough, i could not make it work, and is currently trying the virtual route, but is should be possible to restore previous versions of the web site by starting IIS from Administrative tools, choose (Hostname)Local computer, rightclick and select "all tasks" > "Backup and restore configuration" here you have a coise of backups to restore..

Atleast this is worth a try before you start more drastic measures..

/Rune

Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:22 PM