locked
PS2010: "Cannot communicate with the server. Verify your connection and try again" when clicking on Tasks page RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've come across a really wierd problem with one of the admins. He can access PWA, but when he clicks on Tasks to view assigned tasks, he gets an error "Cannot communicate with the server. Verify your connection and try again" that shows up in the middle of the grid. Whats so wierd is that he is an admin, so it shouldn't be a permissions issue. He's checked/verified his browser settings, made sure PWA is in his trusted sites, and cleared his cache. I read an article about having RTF formatted text in task notes causing a similar problem, so deleted all notes from his assigned tasks. Still, he has the problem. He also tried accessing using different machines and the problem follows him, so it's not specific to his machine. Anyone else run across a situation like this or know what else to check for that may cause a problem like this?
    Rick Frisby
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:38 AM

Answers

  • Hi,

    Given the symptoms you explain, I would hazard that the problem is data related, instead of environmental.

    Can you isolate which tasks are displaying that may be causing the problem via the Reporting Database? Perhaps look at unpublishing the assignments one by one until the view renders?

    Is there anything logging to the ULS logs to give an indication of the exact problem?

    Sorry, I don't have anything a little more useful for you.


    Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by Rick VF Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:54 AM
  • Alex,

    Looking to see if anything was amiss in his account, we went to Manage Users and in the course of checking, changed the data slightly in the initials field and saved. This must trigger an update or sync as now he can access his Tasks page. Still not sure what caused the original problem, but for now this fixed his problem.


    Rick Frisby
    • Marked as answer by Rick VF Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:19 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Given the symptoms you explain, I would hazard that the problem is data related, instead of environmental.

    Can you isolate which tasks are displaying that may be causing the problem via the Reporting Database? Perhaps look at unpublishing the assignments one by one until the view renders?

    Is there anything logging to the ULS logs to give an indication of the exact problem?

    Sorry, I don't have anything a little more useful for you.


    Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    • Marked as answer by Rick VF Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:16 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:54 AM
  • Alex,

    Looking to see if anything was amiss in his account, we went to Manage Users and in the course of checking, changed the data slightly in the initials field and saved. This must trigger an update or sync as now he can access his Tasks page. Still not sure what caused the original problem, but for now this fixed his problem.


    Rick Frisby
    • Marked as answer by Rick VF Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 8:19 PM