SynToy 64 performance issues when deleting a large number of files during synching RRS feed

• Question

• I 'm running SyncToy 64 bit on Windows 7 Home Premium.  I'm synchronizing up my entire user directory.  Occasionally, Norton Anti-virus runs and clears out all my Internet tmp files, approximately 2,000.  When I run SyncToy after that, it runs very long and slows down everything else on my desktop.  I'm synchronizing to a USB attached drive.  I'm suspicious that it has to do with deleting such a large number of files on my backup drive and then moving them to its Recycle Bin.

Has anyone else experienced this?

THanks.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 8:56 PM

All replies

• Except for anything to do with Norton, I am having the same problem.  Last night's backup of exactly the same took 9 hours.

I thought I had deleted all the Temporary Internet Files I could find but SyncToy found a heap I can't even get to in appdata\local\microsoft\windows......  The majority of its time it was first deleting these from the external drive (and I can't see that directory) and then adding from the laptop (again, I can't see these).  Didn't happen on my XP, which I only disposed of 3 days ago.  I have asked in the Windows 7 forum about these directories that I can't see (despite having "show hidden files and folders" turned on)

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Has anyone else experienced this?

I experience this issue as well.

Based on my observation, it took 2/3 of total CPU resource, while the rest (1/3) taken by Microsoft Security Essential. It seems both are in competition of CPU resource. This sync operation took almost all CPU resources and caused overall Windows experience to be unresponsive. I still don't understand why a file deletion operation would hog the CPU.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and SyncToy 2.1 x64, and syncing from a notebook harddrive to a USB external harddrive.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:57 AM
  • I have a better one. I was syncing my icon collection between two drives one on the network and the other as an attached USB3 drive. There were 1/2 million icons. It analyzed for 24 hours before I just decided to pull the plug and manually copy them. The file system took 3 hours to complete the copy. The files are very small but the directory overhead is quite high.

SyncToy needs to map out what it intends to do before it begins any copy / overwrite. Checking directories on both ends consumes a lot of resources and then it has to do it all over again to perform the actual copy as it updates the directories. Integration with VSS might improve performance of big file sets.

Sunday, March 20, 2011 2:18 PM