Hardware to control external LED RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

The hockey puck WSH demo (showcase) model has lights that respons to the condition of the network. Is there a technical drawing how that works? What components do i need, what is the techical shema? I would like to have the same in my (to be ) built Home Server..

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:59 PM

All replies

• Sorry, you are going to have to be quite a bit more descriptive than that in order to get some help.

What I gather is that you want lights on your WHS case to tell you if the network is down? If you want, you can do this fairly easily, all you need to do is remove the little 'link/act' LED on your ethernet adapter on your motherboard, then solder the LED to some long wire, and then solder the wire into where the LED was. Then put the LED  in the hole used for the HDD activity LED and voila, you have yourself a network notification LED on the front of your case. Of course, this voids your motherboard warranty, so you shouldn't do this if it's a new computer...
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:10 PM
  • I think the OP is asking about some hardware to control green, yellow, and red LEDs to correspond to the network health indicator in WHS - like the hockey puck server we saw a couple of weeks ago. Best guess would be something connected to an internal USB header that would be controlled by an add-in or some other small program installed on teh server monitoring the network health indicator. Haven't a clue where to start but I'm sure companies will produce something like this at some point since the hockey puck is so cool looking.

Having said that, there are bound to be some electronics guides somewhere on t'internet for creating a simple serial or USB LED device - you could possibly adapt something like that, release it commercially and make millions!

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:05 PM
  • It would be relatively simple to create a USB device with the appropriate LED and controller, then build a driver for WHS that would connect it to WHS for display of network status.

If you're handy with electronics, that is.
    Friday, June 15, 2007 3:37 AM
  • My question was therefore, who has a schematic of that device that converts USB->LED including software to drive it
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 2:25 PM
  • I would guess info like that is internal company info.

However, an alternative might well be to use a VFD/LCD display most of which have plenty of programming info with them or busy fora. Not necessary to use the display, bu the software could drive a coloured LCD.

Colin

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 5:03 PM
  • Easy if your using PATA drives...

Pin 39 _DASP - Drive Active/Slave Present, This can be used to drive a LED.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 10:01 PM