Money Sunset Report layout issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I been trying to resolve a report layout issues in Money Sunset (version 17.0.120.3817) but can't seem to fix the issues. If I use the Account Transaction reports to show transaction including splits, I get 2 different layouts depending on if All Categories are selected or if All Expenses only are selected.

If All Categories selected I see the below where split transactions are grouped under the Memo field.

However, if I select All Expenses or All Income (not All Categories) I see no grouping.

How do I get same layout as per first image got All Expenses or All Income only.

Thanks

Jas

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 6:11 PM

All replies

• I tried it, and I saw what you saw. If I Select All, but then de-select one item -- either expense or income -- I get the separate entries rather than the combined split displayed.

Also, if I Subtotal by Categories or Subcategories, I show the separated entries.

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:18 PM
  • I investigated the Account Transaction report and confirmed the behavior that you report.  In fact, deselecting even one Category or subcategory changes the report to show each split transaction as a separate line in the report instead of grouping them.  I don't see any way to customize the report to maintain the grouping behavior.

Yet another item for my list of odd behaviors in the reporting interface.

You could, of course, export the All Categories report to Excel and massage the report to eliminate the income or expenses.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 8:25 PM
  • Thanks for checking. Shame as this is the report I needed without too much manipulation.

Looks like I'll move to KMyMoney as it very similar to MS Money and I can have very similar functions as MS Money.

Thanks

Jas

Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:09 AM
  • Thanks for checking. Shame as this is the report I needed without too much manipulation.

Too much manipulation? De-selecting one category?

You can save a customized report as a favorite and have it available in the list at Favorites->FavortiteReports.

Saturday, August 12, 2017 12:33 PM
  • If deselecting even one category breaks the report layout I need then yes it's more manipulation than I care to do, unless your saying you've found a way to keep the report layout I need? 

As Bill mentioned "You could, of course, export the All Categories report to Excel and massage the report to eliminate the income or expenses."

Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:27 PM
  • If deselecting even one category breaks the report layout I need then yes it's more manipulation than I care to do, unless your saying you've found a way to keep the report layout I need? 

Customize the report, including changing the Title (on the Rows&Columns tab) to something descriptive. Change the date. Do the categories thing including de-selecting one. You could first create a category called ZZ_unused_category for the purpose.

Then click AddToMyFavoriteReports in the left column. Then you
    can later access that report with Favorites->FavoriteReports. Favorites is always visible a the top.
    Changes that you later make to the regular report, including reset, will not affect the
    Favorite.

Favorites->OrganizeFavorites->Reports could later be used to rename or delete one of your favories

Saturday, August 12, 2017 5:41 PM

• Sorry but doesn't work for me. As soon as I select All Expenses, the formatting changes. Even if I select All categories and then deselect 1 category (even unused one) the format changes: split transactions are NOT grouped under the Memo field

Saturday, August 12, 2017 6:09 PM

• Sorry but doesn't work for me. As soon as I select All Expenses, the formatting changes. Even if I select All categories and then deselect 1 category (even unused one) the format changes: split transactions are NOT grouped under the Memo field

You want them grouped with "Split/Multiple Categories" showing in the Category column and the transaction Memo showing in the Memo column, even if you are only selecting some categories.

Is there something in particular that you want that for? 

Saturday, August 12, 2017 8:16 PM
  • I'm using Money for tracking expenses / income for a small charitable club and the volunteered auditors prefer that format. For them it makes it easier to go through the yearly transactions. 
    • Proposed as answer by Teabag 2 Sunday, August 27, 2017 7:16 PM
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 10:31 AM