none
Money 2004 or 2005 Crashing when trying to convert 2001 file... RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2001 MS Money file that I am trying to convert to a more modern format for import into another personal finance program.  I have tried installing both 2004 and 2005 versions that I have found on various sites to do this on a windows 8 machine x64 os.  After I get this error money crashes and I cannot convert the file.  I have tried repairing the file however the same thing happens when I try to open it.  I am in the USA.

There is NO Live ID associated with this file and there is no password.  I have tried to turn off anything that asked to connect to the internet and have even taken out the ethernet cable.Any help in getting this updated would be great.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:27 AM

All replies

• I get a window that says "A communication error occurred.  Please try your call again.  If you continue to have problems call your financial institution's Online Service Customer Support"

I cannot leave an image as my account has not been verified.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:34 AM
  • Have a look at the Microsoft help page on converting older files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913108

There is a link on that page to download a "minimally functional version of US Money 2005" which may work better than the programs you have tried.  Be sure to uninstall those first to avoid confusion.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:09 AM
  • Thanks bill.  Already tried this.

Anyone other suggestions?  Do I need to turn off something so the program does not try to connect?

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:42 AM
  • It's a long shot, but it may be worthwhile installing Money Sunset and seeing if that will open your 2001 file.

Maybe someone running Windows 8 will have a better suggestion.

Bill Becker

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:28 AM
  • Thanks Bill.  I have tried this also to no avail.  Still crashes when opening the file.  I have tried to repair the file both level 1 and level 2, and the output file crashed money.  Same error no matter which version of money I try (2004, 2005 (minimum), sunset, etc.)

I really need a Money Ninja as I have been down all the roads that I can find on line.  I can export the accounts as QIF files, but then importing them back sucks!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Have you tried the patch to Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on what is currently the first post in this forum?

If that does not work, perhaps you can find an earlier version of windows to do your conversion and migration.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:26 AM
  • So I though I tried this, but am not sure if I tried in on all the versions.  I will try again.  I have tried earlier versions of Money (2004, 2005) without the patch and neither worked.  I also tried using the repair function to the file and that seemed to not work.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 12:47 AM
  • Again failed.  The patch into Money Plus Deluxe sunset didn't work.  I get the same error.  The mnyob99.dll file for money 2001 is much smaller than the sunset deluxe so I didn't try to replace this.  The slim down version of 2004 and 2005 do not have this file and when I dropped it into the folder where it should live, the application would not launch.

Any more ninjas out there want to take a crack at this?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:44 PM
  • When you have Money Sunset installed can you open the sample.mny file?

Bill Becker

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Yep.  No problem with the the sample file.I tried putting my broken file in the same folder as the sample file but the same crash happened.
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Thanks Bill.  I have tried this also to no avail.  Still crashes when opening the file.  I have tried to repair the file both level 1 and level 2, and the output file crashed money.  Same error no matter which version of money I try (2004, 2005 (minimum), sunset, etc.)

Which of these is the case?:

1. Whenever you do a File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2 you get an error from the repair process? That would imply that that your file is corrupted. You could try taking the output of the level 2 and doing a lever 1 on that. Then do a level 2 repair on the output of the level 1. It is unlikely to solve the problem. What you really want to do in this case is to look for *.mbf files and see if you can restore one of those. Also look for any *.mn9 files. That would be a copy of a Money 2001 file that you had tried to convert.

2. Whenever you do a File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2 you do not get an error from the repair process, but you only get an error when you try to run the file.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:27 PM
  • 1:  I get a window that says "Congratulations your file has been successfully repaired.  Choose 'View Log' to get more details about any damaged information that may have been encountered.

The log shows the following:

Fixed Transaction: Account= , Payee= , Date=4-15-1999, Amount=-1500.0000

Fixed Transaction: Account= , Payee= , Date=2-11-2002, Amount=76.0000

There is also a file with the extension .lrd

When I run the level 1 repair it says something similar and the log says

No broken records in the original file.

This new file does not open and crashed money (sunset)

When I try to restore any the *.mbf files I get the same crash.

I'll look for other files and see if I can restore them into the sunset version of money.

Does any of this help you trouble shoot this problem?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:39 PM
  • One more thing.  Maybe this is important, but the application that is working on my old computer is Money v 9.0 Business & Deluxe.  I have tried all the backup files that I have and they all behave the same way.  Money sunset tried to convert them and then crashes I think when it is trying to open up the file.  I have other older files from Money (different file) that seem to convert properly however no of my data is with in them.  Could I use the archive function on my old Money v 9.0 then import this into the sunset version of money?  Could I get my old file back?
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Does any of this help you trouble shoot this problem?

It clarifies things. That is what I had originally understood you to mean, but then I got to wondering. So I don't know what is causing the problem.

I would try to install Sunset onto XP, Vista, or W7 to see if that can get your file successfully ported to Quicken. Maybe create a restore point, install Money, do your porting, Uninstall Money,  and then restore from the restore point to get a minimum effect on the computer system you borrowed temporarily.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:28 PM
  • One more thing.  Maybe this is important, but the application that is working on my old computer is Money v 9.0 Business & Deluxe.  I have tried all the backup files that I have and they all behave the same way.  Money sunset tried to convert them and then crashes I think when it is trying to open up the file.  I have other older files from Money (different file) that seem to convert properly however no of my data is with in them.  Could I use the archive function on my old Money v 9.0 then import this into the sunset version of money?  Could I get my old file back?

Do not archive. That is not what you think it is. It has nothing to do with backups.

Money 9.0 would be Money 2001. You could try a copy of the *.mny file from that version. Note that file repair will not work on a *.mbf file.

Remember a *.mn9 file is a copy of a Money 2001 file.

Is the old computer running XP? You should be able to have Money Plus Deluxe Sunset *and* money 2001 on the same computer, but it is important to pay close attention during the install of Sunset to  have it *not* uninstall earlier versions. If you do that, the later install gets associated with the *.mny and *.mbf file types. So you would have to open the older version, and then do File->Open to open the 2001 file (make sure it has a different name). To be really sure, you might clone that drive onto another drive before attempting that kind of thing... nothing should go wrong, but still, being extra careful is important. The loss of your main Money file would be a big deal. Keep extra copies on other media while you are thinking  of it.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:40 PM