File deleted on a shared folder - how to get it back? RRS feed

• Question

• Classic question: when I delete a file on a remote share (\\myserver\videos\), how or can I get it back as it is not stored in the Recycle bin of the server (myserver).
    Do I need to use a special software as I would do after emptying my recycle bin on a computer?

Thanks for your explanations
    Friday, November 6, 2009 12:00 AM

Answers

• Classic question: when I delete a file on a remote share (\\myserver\videos\), how or can I get it back as it is not stored in the Recycle bin of the server (myserver).
    Do I need to use a special software as I would do after emptying my recycle bin on a computer?

As with all MS OSes, there is no Network Recycle Bin on WHS.  Ideally, you should have a backup copy on an external drive somewhere (after all, if the data is that valuable, you should have a copy off-site as is anyway).  If not, you only have 2 options:  A) use some sort of recovery software on each drive in your server and hopefully find it or B) with a little luck, you might be able to pull a copy of your file out of Previous Versions (aka Shadow Copies).  Note that Shadow Copies do not function correctly on WHS, but it's possible to retrieve data from it.  Unfortunately, the MS search is "less than cooperative" right now so I can't find the thread to link you to....
    • Marked as answer by Yann P. _ Friday, November 6, 2009 8:55 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 12:41 AM

All replies

As with all MS OSes, there is no Network Recycle Bin on WHS.  Ideally, you should have a backup copy on an external drive somewhere (after all, if the data is that valuable, you should have a copy off-site as is anyway).  If not, you only have 2 options:  A) use some sort of recovery software on each drive in your server and hopefully find it or B) with a little luck, you might be able to pull a copy of your file out of Previous Versions (aka Shadow Copies).  Note that Shadow Copies do not function correctly on WHS, but it's possible to retrieve data from it.  Unfortunately, the MS search is "less than cooperative" right now so I can't find the thread to link you to....
    • Marked as answer by Yann P. _ Friday, November 6, 2009 8:55 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 12:41 AM
  • Here you go .

When search seems broken (and it's broken far too much), use Google. Here's the search I performed:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:social.microsoft.com+brubber+previous+versions
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 6, 2009 4:09 AM
  • Here you go .

When search seems broken (and it's broken far too much), use Google. Here's the search I performed:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site:social.microsoft.com+brubber+previous+versions
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Ahhh, "site" and "brubber" were the missing pieces (I tried the rest of the search on Google and couldn't find it).  Thanks Ken!
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:24 AM